letter of discharge

3 posts Page 1 of 1

stu

Post by stu » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:08 pm
I filled for bankrupcy on the 11 may 2004. Since then I have come up against a brick wall in trying to get a bank account with a debit card. I have a std cash card account that has never been over drawn or shown any signs failure inthe last 1 1/2 years that I have had the account. The question or advise that I need to ask, is do I have to apply to the courts for a letter of discharge in order to prove that I am now clear of bankrupcy. Up until now I ahev not been contacted by the courts to indicate that there has been any issues that might irease my period of bank rupcy?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:11 pm
Hi there

You will need to ask the banks concerned why they are refusing to give you a debir card. Assuming that you were discharged from bankruptcy on or before May 2005, it does seem a little harsh to still be penalised.

Other forum members who have been through bankruptcy will probably be able to advise you a little better in due course on this point.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Storm

Post by Storm » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 pm
The first thing to do is obtain your credit reports from Equifax and Experian to confirm that both credit files are upto date.

Banks will not nor are they required to give a reason why they are refusing to issue a debit card account. Typically they look for regular payments into the account and regular outgoings to show effective money management. Ideally some direct debits going out as well.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for february”