living with my shame and stupidity

150 posts Page 5 of 10

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:37 pm
The Northern Ireland property market is scary at the moment. I have never seen prices fall so much - but of course they did race up at the same rate a couple of years ago.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

na70

Post by na70 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:43 pm
i was sale agreed 2 yrs ago at 210k but it fell through and today im lucky to achieve 130k!

na70

Post by na70 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:07 pm
well thats the paperwork away in the post.

hopefully meet Melanie in Belfast in a few weeks to finalise/confirm things and then it will be a long wait until the creditors meeting.

been selling the last of my books and cds/dvds on ebay to generate some cash for a contingency fund for xmas.

not too many personal items in my house now,its really tidy!!

never expected to generate 4 pages worth of chat/debate,really shows what a great bunch of friends i have made.

the support has been great,no doubt i'll be needing more as i've just had the first of my creditors (barclays) get in touch wondering why i havent paid them!!

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:16 pm
They won't be the last I'm afraid, but good luck on your journey to debt freedom.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

martgoingmad

Post by martgoingmad » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:04 pm
Hi Neil,

Unfortunately size5 is right, they won't be the last. Before entering into the DMP I always tried to talk to my creditors on a professional level and explain the situation. Some are good and some are bad. It also depends on who you are talking to within the department.
Stick to your guns, ask them if you can supply an I&E and also supply them with one of Melaines template letters. (Though amazingly noc ompany ever seems to recieve them!!!)

Good luck,
Martyn

(Seeme to be going down the same route at the same time Neil)
To err is human. To teach 16-21 year olds is just damn crazy!!!
IVA Started October 2009.
33 months down - 27 to go

na70

Post by na70 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:28 pm
believe me in my line of work i take abuse everyday and its water of a ducks back but when someone comes on the fone to tell me i need to pay them money and im unable to its really quite humiliating.

guess i'll have to get used to using the off switch.

does anyone know if o2 will change your mobile number while in a contract and what the cost might be?

cant see anything in help page...

na70

Post by na70 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:07 pm
just chopped up and binned my 3 credit cards,i'll never use them again and no point carrying them anymore.

was quite theraputic in a way!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:02 pm
I changed my number with them twice. The first time cost me nothing, I just told them I was receiving nuisance calls.

The second time cost me £35.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

na70

Post by na70 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:41 pm
been a while since i posted....

been getting lots of phonecalls from barclays to the extent now i have my phone set to accept calls from friends only the rest go through to voicemail.

feel lousy doing this,hate dodging people i owe money too,sooner my iva is up and running the better,at least i will be making some contribution!!

have just typed out my background statemnt and it really brings home how foolish i have been with money.

starting to get nervous about everything not working out,really dont know what i would do then.

panic starting to set in after a few calm weeks.

hopefully meeting Melanie next week so will know better how things look then!

Max

Post by Max » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:47 pm
Try not to worry - easier said than done - but you are, in my opinion and that of my husband, with the best IP in the profession and, therefore, in the safest hands possible. Good luck and best wishes to you.J

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:52 pm
Don't worry na70. Melanie will look after you. The sooner you get your forms sent off, the sooner your proposal will be there.

Don't worry about ignoring the phone calls. It's the best thing to do with Barclays.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

na70

Post by na70 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:09 pm
thanks guys,im very happy with Melanie and her team,just the pessimist coming out in me.

plus im impatient too!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:14 pm
It'll be here before you know it!
Bob Marley.

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:54 pm
Hi
I can remember feeling like you do, hope it all works out for you. You are doing the best thing ignoring those calls there is nothing more you can say to them.

na70

Post by na70 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:37 pm
been a while since i posted so just a quick update.

met Melanie last night and was great to put a face/voice to the name.

went over my case and seems i have a good proposal to put forward.

cannot praise highly enough how Melanie and her team have looked after me and wouldnt hesitate to recommend to anyone.

hopefully sign my proposal tomorrow and then await a date for creditors meeting.

learning to be patient!!

ps

to anyone reading this and thinking they might be in financial trouble please dont do what i did and put it off for 3/4 months.the hole only gets deeper.

please please act as soon as possible and lift the phone/email someone for advice.

no one will judge you at all,the help and support and advice is second to none and will only every help make things better.
150 posts Page 5 of 10
Return to “thinking of making your first post ?”