looking to rent privately but I have an IVA

17 posts Page 1 of 2

natasha.i

Post by natasha.i » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:06 am
I am looking to rent privately but I have an IVA, they will have to do a credit check on me. Will it just come back as a fail and I'll have to have a guarantor?

ray_a

Post by ray_a » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Most probably!

Had the same problem 10 months ago. Spoke to the Agents who understood and in my case offered a six month deposit. As you have a guarantor then that will help.

Be honest and as my agents said that it is quite common!

Anyway good luck and come back if you have any problems!

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:13 pm
Hi
yes good advice from Ray.
Just be honest,you may need a larger deposit or a guarantor.The other option is to rent straight from the landlord[newspaper ads etc]they wil not do a credit check.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

DevonLassie

Post by DevonLassie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:08 pm
Hi
I don't know how letting agents expect people in IVA's to cough up six months rent in advance, they must think we're made of money!

I'm facing the same problem as you Natasha as I might have to move soon and i'm fretting about whether I will get accepted for a new place. My IP suggested to me that as my boyfriend is not in an IVA he could take out the Tenancy agreement with me (although he wouldn't be living with me!)hopefully I won't get penalised then for being in an IVA.

Devonlass

ray_a

Post by ray_a » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:16 pm
I know Devon Lassie it is a big chunk and we were very lucky! Phew!

I would suggest that you get your boyfriend to take on the tenancy in his own name and you make a contribution. Be kinder on the cash flow!

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:31 pm
Private landlords won't always request a credit check, you may find that you are able to give them references instead. However, as many people have experienced you may have to stump up a larger deposit. If this is the case your IP may be able to offer you a break in your IVA payments to come up with this.

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

skint

Post by skint » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 am
IM starting to look around for places to rent as well. I wont be touching an estate agent as I really dont have 6 months of rent in advance.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 am
You can always try housing associations or your local council to see if they have anything. Might not cost so much initially.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

stressed1

Post by stressed1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 am
I am looking at renting in the spring also.
However,if i was to be given the 6month deposit and then pay that back monthly- what happens at the end of that period?
Would I need to find another 6 months? or would it go to a monthly rolling contract??
Or it would mean finding the 6 months again and somebody always being out of pocket.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:47 pm
You would have to check what the letting agencies criteria is. If it was 6 months upfront, you might not have to pay anything for 6 months, which would allow you to build up your next 6months rental.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

stressed1

Post by stressed1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:52 pm
I would have to check with the agency i guess- I know when I rented before I had to give 6 months upfront cos I had been working abroad. I wouldnt be able to buuld it up again as I would have to pay back whoever lent it on a monthly basis

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:58 pm
I'm sure there are some out there who will fit the bill stressed1. Let us know how you get on as this sort of information is useful for other posters looking to rent.
Bob Marley.

jojo

Post by jojo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:57 pm
Hi, I was lucky and found a letting agent who were very understanding when I was upfront with them about the iva. They said it wouldn't be a problem. They did the credit check and it was fine! This was though they said because we had been in the iva for more then two years and had a good payment record and also had good references from our last landlord who we were with for 5 years. Our iva company also gave us a letter saying we had been keeping up payments etc. I think it helps to be upfront and honest. We didn't have to get a garantor or pay 6 months in advance so it can happen!

stressed1

Post by stressed1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 pm
Thanks JOJO that is reassuring
I was in my previous rental property for 4 years so they should give me an ok reference.....There just seems to be much more choice through an agency than looking at private in my area.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 pm
We are in the position of having to pay 6mths rent in cash every six months as we could not pass the credit checks - however the letting agent has agreed before the next 6 months is due to see if we can get through the credit checks now that we have been in situ for 12 months in this property and in the IVA for nearly 18 months - waiting to see what the response - they have asked for references from our employers today so fingers crossed - last time they said no straight away and didn't even bother with the employer references !!!

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “renting”