Loss of a much loved pet through an IVA/Bankruptcy

89 posts Page 1 of 6

Pink Dog

Post by Pink Dog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi,
has anyone out there lost a loved pet to auction via an IVA/bankruptcy? many thanks to my horrid ex, who borrowed money on our joint name without consulting me first, has left me with alot of debt and no place to go. i have no assets as such but i have a very loving companion horse whom has been in my life since a young foal age of 11 months and he has seen me through the hardest of times, he is now 10 years old and is at risk of being crammed into a scabby trailer and punted to goodness knows who at an auction. my poor fella will find it very frightening and heartbreaking that i wont be there for him, as i have done all his life since he left his mother. How can these people do that to a living animal? would they sell your children at auction? no, because children can cry and call for mummy, animals feel heartbreak as much as any other living being but cannot tell it to anyone.
i pary daily that i can keep him, thats all i ask. he is worthless to anyone else, hes no good for shows etc its just me hes any good to, because i love him so.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:11 pm
Oh my goodness pink dog, has someone threatened this? I have never ever heard of pets being taken away due to debt. Please wait for an expert to advise you. Viki X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Pink Dog

Post by Pink Dog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:19 pm
Pink Dog wrote:

Hi,
has anyone out there lost a loved pet to auction via an IVA/bankruptcy? many thanks to my horrid ex, who borrowed money on our joint name without consulting me first, has left me with alot of debt and no place to go. i have no assets as such but i have a very loving companion horse whom has been in my life since a young foal age of 11 months and he has seen me through the hardest of times, he is now 10 years old and is at risk of being crammed into a scabby trailer and punted to goodness knows who at an auction. my poor fella will find it very frightening and heartbreaking that i wont be there for him, as i have done all his life since he left his mother. How can these people do that to a living animal? would they sell your children at auction? no, because children can cry and call for mummy, animals feel heartbreak as much as any other living being but cannot tell it to anyone.
i pary daily that i can keep him, thats all i ask. he is worthless to anyone else, hes no good for shows etc its just me hes any good to, because i love him so.
it has been outlined as a possibility if his value is over £1000 but he is not worth anything to anyone because hes not pure bred or registered and he is quite big and noone wants horses like him anymore, but to me he is worth the world. i have heard of this happening with pedigree dogs if the value is high enough.

i cant live without him, i'd amputate a leg before giving him up
hes my life and soul [V]

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:22 pm
Hey pink dog, please wait for an expert to advise you, I honestly don't think you should be worrying about this, you poor thing. Hang in there, an expert will be along shortly. Viki X

Pink Dog

Post by Pink Dog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:25 pm
Viki.W wrote:

Hey pink dog, please wait for an expert to advise you, I honestly don't think you should be worrying about this, you poor thing. Hang in there, an expert will be along shortly. Viki X
that was from an expert, thats why im so gutted. she is going to try and get them to reconsider as his market value is fairly poor, but she cant promise it.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 pm
Absolutely not! The very thought of someone asking you to do that is horrid. I have lots of clients who have horses in their IVAs - and I would fight tooth and nail for you to keep your hooved friend if I were acting for you.

And at the end of the day, this is a far higher priority for you than paying off a few debts.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Robbiecat

Post by Robbiecat » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:29 pm
Pink Dog, This is a long shot, but can you get his vet to write him off as "financially worthless"? Horses are written off for loss of use all the time and not allowed to be sold on in a work capacity.

How utterly awful. I have never heard of anything so heniously barbaric than making you sell a much loved pet to pay creditors.

Hugs and prayers this works out OK.
RC

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:42 pm
Oh how terrible this must be for you.
You must fight tooth and nail to keep him, hes part of your family.

We bought a little shetland only a month ago for my disabled son and already, the bond between them is so big we are scared of him outgrowing him.
He would be devastated at the thought of losing him.

What a horrible way to be treated and i do really hope this gets sorted and you get to keep your best friend.

Please keep us posted xxx
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:46 pm
If you had a thorough breed racing horse left in some expensive stables I would understand but I think your particular situation merits special circumstances and should be left alone.
Best Regards
Oliver

Pink Dog

Post by Pink Dog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:01 pm
ThomasCharles wrote:

If you had a thorough breed racing horse left in some expensive stables I would understand but I think your particular situation merits special circumstances and should be left alone.
they have offered me a loop hole. they say if i add his value to my IVA over the duration i can BUY him back!

this is sick. should i really have to be forced to let him go or buy him back? plus, i cant afford the extra £40 it will add to my agreement to buy him back

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 pm
Pink Dog, I've never heard anything like this....it's unbelievable, I'm sure Melanie will be along soon to comment. I'm thinking of you. Viki X

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:16 pm
How far are you into the IVA process? If you haven't had your creditors' meeting yet it might be worth getting a second opinion from Melanie, as she actually cares about animals.

Good luck, I really hope you can work this out - the way you and your horse are being treated is disgusting x

Pink Dog

Post by Pink Dog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:34 pm
MelanieGiles wrote:

Absolutely not! The very thought of someone asking you to do that is horrid. I have lots of clients who have horses in their IVAs - and I would fight tooth and nail for you to keep your hooved friend if I were acting for you.

And at the end of the day, this is a far higher priority for you than paying off a few debts.
Melanie
Does it make any difference that i live in Scotland?

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 pm
I have heard of this. They deem the animal as an asset and have the right to claim it. I think though, that it would be very rarely done and usually more with the likes of livestock etc. I very much doubt that they would claim your horse.
It's nice to be back......

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:10 pm
I assume that you are proposing a Trust Deed? In which case I also cannot see a problem, but I will check with my Scottish colleagues. Which IP firm is currently advising you?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
89 posts Page 1 of 6
Return to “we salute the special people managing disability”