Marriage & Children

7 posts Page 1 of 1

Mondie

Post by Mondie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 am
I have a question that I can't find an answer to and hope someone will be able to help me.

I am 21 months into my IVA and managing well enough, I met my boyfriend about a year ago (after being in an IVA) He proposed to me last week and I very much want to get married and have children but this has left me with some very unromantic questions about my IVA!

Firstly, my boyfriend owns his own house and has savings etc, if we get married will my IP demand that he gives monet to my IVA? Or does his assets have nothing to do with me and my IVA?

Secondly, how does an IVA work if you get pregnant and go on maternity leave? My company only offers 16 weeks full pay then its stat maternity pay for up to a year.

Very upsetting that what should be a very happy time is dampened by thoughts of my IVA!

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 am
I have none of the answers to your questions but would like to congratulate you on this happy part of your life, one of the experts will be along shortly and clarify your queries.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:11 am
Congratulations!

Your boyfriend won't have to give his savings etc to your IVA. Your IP will need details of his income, but only to make sure that you are both paying your fair share towards the bills etc. For example if you earn 40% of the household income and your partner earns 60% the bills should be split accordingly.

Regarding maternity pay, as far as I'm aware you can ask your IP for a payment break or to have the payments reduced with the outstanding amounts added to the end of your IVA.

I'm really pleased to hear your good news, and please don't put your life on hold for your IVA x

Mondie

Post by Mondie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:30 am
Will anything change when we marry, will my IP see his house as half mine? I don't want my IVA to stop me marrying, but it is not fair to my boyfriend to lose his savings or house as a result!

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:35 am
Hi Mondie - great to hear your good news and you mustn't let an IVA spoil your happiness.

As far as the house goes, its in your Boyfriends name so the IVA cannot touch it.I think you could pay him rent.

Who is your IVA with? A quick phonecall to your IP could put your mind at rest.

indebtforever

Post by indebtforever » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:47 pm
yes i agree get advise from your ip then you know were you stand
great news

good luck

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:21 pm
I would recommend that your boyfriend keeps the house in his name after you have married until your IVA has concluded. As Skippy has already mentioned, your IP is likely to reassess your expenditure on the basis that you pay a fair share towards the combined household expenditure.

And finally - congratulations from me too!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA completed !!”