Monument

9 posts Page 1 of 1

Louise90

Post by Louise90 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 pm
I'm with a debt management company called Harrington Brook. Me and my husband pay them a set amount each month to pay all our creditors. And one of those is Monument. For the last 2 or 3 weeks they've been calling me every single day, including weekends, asking for more money. They say that Harrington Brooks isn't paying them enough. Sometimes this can be twice a day. We are getting really hacked off about this. Harrington Brooks has told us to tell Monument to get in touch with them and to put the phone down. I have done this on a number of occasions, but they're STILL calling!

I feel like I'm going crazy! What can I do?

Louise
[:(]

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:52 pm
Hi Louise

How much are you paying the debt management company, and how much do you owe in total to creditors? Do you feel that you could afford to pay any more money to creditors?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Louise90

Post by Louise90 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:55 pm
Well, our total debts are about £20,000, and pay them £100 a month. That's not a lot I know but don't have much of an income at the moment, although they have rang up today (Harrington) asking us if we want to go into an IVA for £140 a month. We're considering this (which is why I'm here really lol.) I owe monument about £3,000. One company we owe £8,000 and they never phone.
Last edited by Louise90 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 pm
If you can only afford £100 per month, how do they expect you to pay £140. That £40 increase can be the difference between having a reasonable lifestyle or a very miserable one. Do tread carefully before accepting such a jump in payments just to get an IVA.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:54 am
I agree with Melanie.

Don't agree to anything that you cannot afford. £140 a month is a low figure for an IVA anyway. Remember that an IVA is a legal agreement and you would have to keep up these payments for five years.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Louise90

Post by Louise90 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:39 pm
Thanks for your comments. 5 years sounds tempting though to the many years I *will* be paying my debts for. I haven't gone ahead with it yet anyway.

Monument have just phoned me up AGAIN. I've done what Harrington Brooks have told me to do, told them a financial statement is on the way & hung up.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:47 pm
I hope you get it sorted Louise.

If you do get more disposable income, then an IVA is a possibility.

Think long and hard before committing yourself to five years of a very miserable existence.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:57 pm
Hi Louise. If both or either of you have individual debts of less than £15k and a DI of £50 or less a debt relief order may be the appropriate option for you. Your local CAB could advise further.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Louise90

Post by Louise90 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:03 pm
Thanks Michael. I've never heard of a debt relief order before. I'll look into that.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Harrassment by creditors ?”