My bonus is going no-where?!

15 posts Page 1 of 1

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 am
Hi all

I've just discovered that the bonus' i've been paying haven't been reducing my overall amount owed. I really had no idea and i'm quite gutted. I'm sure to some of you that have this provision in your IVA you might have already known this, but I just wanted to make sure that others are aware.

I've carefully kept a track of what i've paid and had even had conversations with my IVA company where they've told me its coming off the balance, but apparantly this was wrong. It makes me feel sick that i've paid over so much and essentially this is to 'enhance the dividend to my creditors'.

This has only come to light since my Mum is looking to help us with a full and final offer and I really hope it goes through and is accepted. I feel like the goal posts move sometimes and there is nothing you can do about it, you just have to deal with it.

I'm struggling to find the bright side on finding this out, well other than hopefully a f&f being accepted later on in the year. [:)]

Kate
Always looking on the bright side!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 am
I've just found an email from my IP at the start of the IVA telling me any payments from bonus comes off our balance, so i've forwarded this now and am hoping it was their mistake.

[:)]

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am
Dont forget - you will ALWAYS OWE the full amount + fees until the end of the IVA (NOT THE AMOUNT STATED AS DIVIDENTS)- it is only then that the remaining money is written off.

A quick reread of you proposals would have indicated this to you

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 am
If I have an email from my IP I would trust it! if you ask a person a straight question and get a straight answer then I don't really see your point.

I have read my proposals, although to be honest sometimes it can be hard to understand. thats why I asked the question in the first place.

danieln

Post by danieln » Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 pm
I guess it comes off the balance of the original amount owed but it would never reduce the term.

The original proposal would have stated this so unfortunatly as frustrating as it is (with you having this email) it will have no impact im sure....

Judo

Post by Judo » Tue May 24, 2011 12:28 pm
No. Unless you manage to pay back 100p in the pound plus fees you will always owe the full amount of your debt and the IVA will carry on the full term.
Any overtime, bonuses etc paid over are just to increase the dividend paid to your creditors.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue May 24, 2011 12:34 pm
this is the question I originally asked...

"With our bonus' we could be paying as much as £1000 a year, could we complete the IVA quicker then? its just a case of waiting until all creditors have received 51p in the £1?"

My IP's answer to this was yes.

If this isn't the case I do feel somewhat mislead. I understand what you're all saying but i've got this in black and white.

danieln

Post by danieln » Tue May 24, 2011 12:38 pm
I do see what your saying... I guess it depends when you asked the question they could say with the bonuses and potential pay rises you could hit 100p....

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:42 pm
I have never known an IVA cease once you have hit the agreed dividend- you will always continue on until you have completed the term, or until you have paid back 100p in the pound whichever is sooner.

Hopefully one of the experts can come on and advise.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

langerbridge

Post by langerbridge » Tue May 24, 2011 1:42 pm
I asked my company about this for me & my initial amount is 33p/£ they stated any bonus will raise this amount & benefit the creditors. Kitkat I'm sure your IP will look to resolve this. Is it email or official letter? As email is not as concrete as a letter on headed paper.
The road is 72months long starting September 2010.

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 pm
kallis3 wrote:

I have never known an IVA cease once you have hit the agreed dividend- you will always continue on until you have completed the term, or until you have paid back 100p in the pound whichever is sooner.

Hopefully one of the experts can come on and advise.
How does a f&f offer work then? as thats not waiting for the term to complete or giving back 100p in the pound? this really confuses me as what's the point in agreeing a dividend? have I got the wrong end of the stick?

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:29 pm
The divident mentioned in the IVA - assumes Nothing changes during the term of the IVA.- and is based on disposable at that time. But it IS NOT FIXED.

However if income falls or increases or there in a inheritance or a lottery win, all those things will change the amounts of divident given to creditors.

langerbridge

Post by langerbridge » Tue May 24, 2011 4:29 pm
A f&f is usually an amount a relative can give you to end the agreement. Until your IVA ends you owe your full debt. For most of us they are writing off half of the debt. The dividend is what you can pay back at the time the agreement starts. If it goes up the creditor benefits and if it decreases there may need to be a variation meeting. In essence a dividend is not a set amount that if you paid up after 2 years your IVA would complete, unless through a f&f. For example mine is set at 33p/£ but with bonuses and pay rises that may rise above 40p/£.
The road is 72months long starting September 2010.

antm

Post by antm » Tue May 24, 2011 4:41 pm
I was going to add that the bonus and overtime go towards your 0p/£ and increase the amount you pay back, over the last year i paid £1k in overtime towards my IVA, the more my creditors get back the better it is in the long run.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm
Apologies. I meant to say that I hadn't included a full and final in my reply. I meant that I hadn not heard of it happening in a normal iva.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bonus, overtime, pay rises and windfalls”