My wife has just inherited money, does it need to pay my sole IVA off ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
40 posts Page 3 of 3

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:06 am
I have access to the latest allowance guidelines if you would like them. Just respond on here and I will get admin to share your email address with me and then email you them.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

hubert

Post by hubert » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am
Hi,

Your wife's inheritance or any other "windfall" is hers and hers alone but make sure you keep it separate and don't pay it into a joint account.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:08 am
I would think anyway that it would be a while before any inheritance is paid across once probate/will etc is sorted but do agree that it should be paid into a different account.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

D.22

Post by D.22 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:09 pm
thankyou luluj a finacial list would be great

D.22

Post by D.22 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:15 pm
thankyou everyone,i didnt think about getting a seperate bank account good idea i will let you know how things go thankyou again GREAT SITE

hubert

Post by hubert » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:11 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by D.22

thankyou everyone,i didnt think about getting a seperate bank account good idea i will let you know how things go thankyou again GREAT SITE
A separate account keeps it simple. If you had to provide a bank statement showing the money in a joint account, you'd have difficulty proving it wasn't yours.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

D.22

Post by D.22 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:04 pm
well my wife asked her dmp at pp if she can just make a £1 payment this month ,as she wanted the rest for towards her wreath and they rite back saying her creditors will see it as a break in her agreement and will probably start sending letters or even take her to court and restart putting interest back on,

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:29 pm
With a DMP it is not written in stone so she can pull out whenever she wishes although her creditors will probably start to contact her again. They are unlikely to take her to court but they may well start to add interest again.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:47 pm
I'd be tempted tfor her write to them saying she may be able to secure some funds from a third party for the value of example £10,000

Her total debts are
Firm A example £8000 (33%)
Firm B exampl £6000 (25%)
Firm. C exampl £10,000 ( 42%)

Total A+B+C is £24,000

I would like to offer a full and final settlement of these funds introduced by a third party distributed by equal percentage amongst the creditors. In retun each creditor will agree this debt is settled/satisfied or partially satisfied and close the related accounts within 30 days, and update the credit reference agencies with this information.

Each creditor would receive their respective equal share bla bla bla

Please advise within X working days in writing if your firm would be willing to accept these terms as final settlement on my account bla bla bla

They can only say no, they might come back and say they would accept more, but the key thing is you need agreement from each firm, I would go in relatively lowminitsllynto create wiggle room.

If successful do not pay a penny until you have written agreement from them.

There is some helpful,info here http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/les ... ull-final/

Regarding them adding interest again, thy can do that but at the end of the day just stick to your DMP, I wouldn't mention inheritance to any creditors for now becaue they could try and out the squeeze on the wife to scare you into an IVA/bankruptcy which could lead to them getting all her inheritance
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

D.22

Post by D.22 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:10 pm
thankyou for your advice you have been very helpful
40 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”