nationwide flex account (Cash card)

12 posts Page 1 of 1

paul51

Post by paul51 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:50 pm
I am currently at the end of my 1st year of my IVA and bank with nationwide with a full flex account all facilities apart of course from an overdraft.
However I applied to run a basic cash card account alongside my current account so I can pay my bills from that account and keep the main current account free for day to day expenses.
I have been informed that I have been rejected and its because the banking code has changed over the last 2 months which now means that nationwide will turn down even the basic bank account to persons like us.....what did I say to them - nothing but I wanted to inform the forum should anybody be considering applying to nationwide.
whilst writing this has anybody got any suggestions apart from think banking who would allow a current IVA person to ran a basic account because I still wish to run my finances like this.
thank you

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:12 pm
Have you tried the Co-op? They have a basic Cashminder account which comes with a Visa Electron card. You could also try Abbey, Halifax or Barclays.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 pm
I would also try the co-op
I have been so happy with them, both in branch and on the phone. The internet banking is very easy to use also which is a bonus for me as it is how I manage my accounts, also have a savings account with them for any spare money to save.
Emma
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

cul8tr

Post by cul8tr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:02 pm
Edited by admin

paul51

Post by paul51 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:45 pm
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT - I WAS SUCCESSFUL IN OPENING THE CASHMNDER ACOUNT TODAY

olympic_torch

Post by olympic_torch » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:03 pm
We have a cashminder account.
The staff who answer the phone are
always polite and efficient.

Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
(7 down, 53 to go)
Last edited by olympic_torch on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
IVA accepted May 2007.
Extended by 12 months in lieu of equity March 2012.
F+F offer accepted May 2012.
C of C received August 2012.
IVA dropped off credit file 24th May 2013.

joh71262

Post by joh71262 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:15 pm
Cashminder definitely, but explain your situation to them when you apply. They have been pretty helpful but make sure that you request a paying in book when you get your card. I wanted to take a cheque in assuming I could pay it in at the Post Office but they needed a slip and no longer use generic ones.
There's light at the end of the tunnel - it's just that sometimes the tunnel seems so long.

IVA Complete June 2009

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm
My question then...

I opened my nationwide flex account before my IVA went though, as I had to change my bank. I've been with them now for just over 2 years.

Are Nationwide, or any bank / building society for that matter, able to carry out credit checks / reviews on existing accounts and thus find out I am in a IVA without the account holders permission and thus decided to close down my account?

My thoughts were so long as I don't apply for anything else with them I should be alright, but I'm not sure now.

paul51 wrote:

I am currently at the end of my 1st year of my IVA and bank with nationwide with a full flex account all facilities apart of course from an overdraft.
However I applied to run a basic cash card account alongside my current account so I can pay my bills from that account and keep the main current account free for day to day expenses.
I have been informed that I have been rejected and its because the banking code has changed over the last 2 months which now means that nationwide will turn down even the basic bank account to persons like us.....what did I say to them - nothing but I wanted to inform the forum should anybody be considering applying to nationwide.
whilst writing this has anybody got any suggestions apart from think banking who would allow a current IVA person to ran a basic account because I still wish to run my finances like this.
thank you
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

PoorbutHappy

Post by PoorbutHappy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:56 pm
I believe HSBC are renowned for doing exactly that. They can check the insolvency register just like anyone else :)

I still have my HSBC basic account, though its empty, I moved when I heard what they did. I have Co-op and Nationwide now which I "use", suppose having a spare lined up is useful just in case they get all shirty

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:09 pm
Just opened a basic account at Lloyds TSB just in case they do just that :-)
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:12 pm
I've got a Nationwide basic Flexaccount and when they stopped opening accounts for undischarged bankrupts I phoned them and asked if they were planning on closing accounts that were already open. I was told no, so I presume this applies to IVAs as well.

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:31 am
Good news, thanks for that Skippy I'm happy with the Nationwide, guess it does not hurt to have a spare though, just in case they change their policy in the future.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bank accounts and credit cards”