Nearly the end of our first year

11 posts Page 1 of 1

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:08 pm
Excellent post esgt .. I am glad it is working well for you.

Very good point about previously living beyond our means, the understanding of which is key in the early days when having to adjust to more austere times.

Well done :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:55 pm
Little milestones throughout the iva make it easier than just counting down from5 years!! Well done for adjusting to life in an iva.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

esgt1967

Post by esgt1967 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:10 am
That's very true about the little milestones - I tend to work on 6 months at a time. I really try not to wish my life away and just accept that this is our life now and, to be honest, it's actually better than before the IVA even though our credit rating will probably be through the floor for a long time now! Still got a very long way to go but now used to budgeting and only spending what we can afford, so really not that bothered about it too much, although a letter from school about a residential visit for my son costing nearly £300 caused a bit of a gulp this week. However, we have broken it down into monthly payments as he's not going until June and will pull our belts in on other expenditure so that he does not miss out. These sorts of things are where it is so difficult when your expenditure and access to credit are so restricted but they are good challenges.

Hair_bobbles

Post by Hair_bobbles » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm
It's funny how we are all different- I counted down from 5 years!! I knew the end of it would be when my youngest started secondary school- I focused on that!! Having kids made the iva go quicker..kids grow up so fast!!..my year revolves around counting down to the summer hols! It gives me something to focus on...
The next "milestone" for us is a completely clean credit file & I can't help feeling like I'm wishing my life away to get to that point!!! So again I'm looking forward to next summer hols.....
Before you know it you're there & i still can't quite believe we did it!! ......I know what you mean about the trip!!
IVA COMPLETED & CLEAN CREDIT FILE.

An old bible proverb says this: the rich one rules the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender.

How true are those words of wisdom.

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:28 am
Well done :) Here's hoping the next 12 months go by as smoothly for you
Steven & Debbie

dunkynuts

Post by dunkynuts » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 am
I'm 20 months in and it's gone so fast. Birthdays are milestones for me. I'm 47 just after mine finishes(48 if goes to 6 years). I want to have a clear Credit Score and have saved enough to go to New York for my 50th. Along way away, but a goal!
Have no regrets,the future is ours!

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:59 pm
Hi egst 1967 I totally agree with your view about life being easier no more worrying about credit card bill dropping on mat (I will never own another credit card) I like you have totally changed my attitude to spending and the main thing being I withdraw my food shopping allowance in cash and don't take my Debit card out when doing the weekly shop so I know I can only spend what I have in my purse, so if for instance we pass a shop window and we think that's nice maybe we could treat ourselves, we can't as no pennies in purse and no card to put it on, in the past would have just handed over credit card and not thought do I really need this. I now only buy what I need, no what I want! We still have a long way to go but don't count down in and measure time of iva look at it as changing our spending habits for good. Good luck for the next 4 years and hope it keeps running smoothly for you

Welliboot

Post by Welliboot » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 pm
Hiya, I've just read your post and it's made me feel happier - my first iva payment went out of my bank today and all I could think was.... 4 years and 11 more months.... its forever!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:40 pm
Five years ago Northern Rock, Woolworths and MFI went south, the Beijing Olymics took place, Lewis Hamilton became F1 World Champion. Doesn't seem that long ago :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:59 am
Well done esgt1967 ... It was nice to meet you in the summer !
20% completed ..... One fifth done ...... Lots of way to look at it ... We counted down from 60 .... Once you get the first year done i can assure you it goes quick ..the first year is like finding your feet and learning to live in an IVA, the second year is easier ...stay focused x
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

MikeyM

Post by MikeyM » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:00 pm
The next big milestone for us is the next general election, only 17 months away, because at that point we will be halfway there ready to go down the other side of the hill.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “how are you coping?”