need advise asap

14 posts Page 1 of 1

seert

Post by seert » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 pm
i have two credit cards which are at their maximum of around £19000

i have been paying the interest on these for the last number of months but i am no longer able to do this and have advised one of the companies of this and have to get back to them tomorrow

what can i say to these card companies that will give me some time to either get something sorted out through this forum or some sort of finance together to try and pay them each month

i am a full time wheelchair user and cannot work, my wife does not work but cares for me.

i have read some information with regards to IVA's and DRO's but not sure if i come under these, is there another option rather than bankruptcy.

as with many many other people my wife is worried sick so any help would be appreciated and lastly in the meantime, we live in Northern Ireland are there contacts here that we can speak to or go and see

thank you for taking time to read this.

dipsy

Post by dipsy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Hi seert

I am not sure but I think that Michael Peoples from MCD is in Ireland.
Their website is mccambridgeduffy.com. Hope this helps.
Take what life throws at you and hold your head up high. You're only human after all!!!

Kelly O

Post by Kelly O » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 pm
Welcome to the forum, i am sure you will find lots of useful information along with help and support here :-)

You can only do a DRO if your debts are under £15,000, total assets of less than £300 and a total disposable income of less than £50 per month.

You could write to creditors and tell them you are in financial difficulties and you are currently seeking advice with a view to finding a solution to your debts.

Under the OFT Debt Collection guidance creditors should suspend recovery of the debt where it can be evidenced that the debtor is developing a repayment plan or receiving assitance from a appropriate 3rd party representative.

There are firms on this site who have offices in NI, including MCD and Melanie Giles
Regards Kelly Osadare Debt Advice Manager at www.pjgrecovery.com (host to www.melaniegiles.com.)

PJG Recovery have a free online advice channel at www.debtadvicetv.com. If you are ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.pjgrecovery.com/contact-us.asp . I look forward to speaking to you.

stormsylv

Post by stormsylv » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 pm
Hi seert and welcome.

Firstly you have done the right thing in contacting your credit card company informing them that you are struggling.

All you can do when you call them back is tell them the truth regarding your accounts and hopefully they will help or advise you accordingly.

Im sure this wont result in bankruptcy, maybe you could come to an agreement with your creditors or failing that a Dept Management Plan.

Let us know how you get on with the credit card companies.
IVA Official Completed 27th July 2012!!!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:08 pm
While you only have two creditors your debt is substantial and there are certainly options available other than making minimum payments for the rest of your life and possibly the debt increasing anyway.

We have offices in Belfast and the NorthWest while Melanie also has offices here. Grant Thornton have a large operation in Belfast so you should not be stuck for some good advice. Ring around for some free advice and good luck.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

seert

Post by seert » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm
do i need to get help from the Consumer Credit Counselling Service/National Debtline or can you go to some of the firms mentioned here directly?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:25 pm
You could speak to a number of companies but be aware that the CCCS is a charity funded by the banks whereas the insolvency firms who post on here are professional and independent. Few companies charge up front fees to discuss your options but shop around and go with whoever you feel most comfortable.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

terry d

Post by terry d » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:30 pm
just go direct yourself,i found various companys very helpfull when i was applying for an iva,i dont think where the company is would matter as you dont have an person to person contact anyway,but hopefully an 0800 would be better for the free calls,i found vincent bond very helpful,they are a sponser on this site,the number is at the top of the page an 0800 as well
never cment on me speling its rubbish and i didnt go to schola lot okk

made bankrupt 1st august 2012 at 10.00am
now disharged so bankrupt no more thank god im free of debt now

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:34 pm
Hi seert - as terry d says, unless you specifically want to travel to an office the location of the company doesn't matter as everything can be done over the phone and via post - saving you having to travel. Some companies also hold telephone meetings in the evenings if that suits.

Once your disposable income is understood and the overall details of your circumstances then the options can be discussed - there will be a way forward you and you have c ome to the best place for support and advice.

Companies on here can be contacted directly via there contact details on here.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

terry d

Post by terry d » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:43 pm
i honestly did not know which wayto turn owing £38,500 but this forum was great for finding the right company and new friends of course who all have the same thing in common,debt

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:35 pm
Do contact 2 or 3 companies and they'll give you some impartial case specific advice. www.iva.com is a comparison site which you may find useful.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

terry d

Post by terry d » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:31 pm
trouble is all the companies sound great when you first ring then,so id rather go with one that is mentioned as good and fair on here,remember they are running a business and they want your business,so take your time with who you chose afew more days of searching for one wont make any differance to most people looking to enter into an iva,DMP,bankruptcy etc

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:43 pm
You'll know when you've found the right company as you'll feel comfortable in them. One key point that is important to me - make sure they're contactable, that in itself has been invaluable to me. A good company will discuss all debt solutions and take the time to find the one for you.

Personal recommendation is good.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Completely echo Lesley's comments ......really will know when you have found the right company.......good luck.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA approved!”