Need security clearance for an immigration officer job at heathrow which I am applying for.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
37 posts Page 1 of 3

zoas

Post by zoas » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:09 am
I am applying for an immigration officer job at heathrow and they have asked for security clearance. I just wanted to ask will my IVA hinder my chances for getting the job?
Patience is a virtue.

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 am
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Depends on what sort of clearance it is. If it's just CRB then you will be fine.

What does it say on the application form? It should normally tell you whether there is a financial check or not.

You could always make an anonymous call to the employer to see what they say about an IVA.

nickjohn

Post by nickjohn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:23 am
As Niobe says the normal security check is a CRB. An IVA is usually only a hindrance for financial positions..

The anonymous call idea is a good one, have not thought of that before, could be a quick solution and save any undue stress

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:30 am
Don't forget though that certain positions, such as the police force, do require a financial check as well and there is no way they would hire you.

Not sure about the Immigration Service. They may well do a financial check.

zoas

Post by zoas » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:09 pm
It's an SC (security clearance) and not CRB. The questions are only about family, ex partner, bothers, sisters and parents. Should I explain that I am in an IVA, even though they have not asked specific financial questions.
Thanks for all the replys, it's really encouraging to see there are people out there willing to give up their time for others.
Patience is a virtue.

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:32 pm
If they've not asked then I personally wouldn't volunteer it. Still might be worth that anonymous call just to make sure though.

zoas

Post by zoas » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:35 pm
Will definatley call them on Tuesday. Thanks for all the advice.
Patience is a virtue.

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:12 pm
Only answer honestly the questions asked, if they do not ask about IVA don't volunteer it. Suspect the higher the clearance the more they look into these things though.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

nomoremoney

Post by nomoremoney » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:35 pm
It's likely be a ctc clearance....counter terrorism check....nothing higher..on that form it does not directly asked for divulging of fanancial details but you will have to sign a consent form to allow the employers to check all databases incl. Credit files. Be sure to be crystal clear about the iva....and that you are seeing your debt payments. THIS IS IMPORTANT....
In the police a current iva will bar applicants and maybe even from
from GCHQ. Best to go to the employers website and see what they say about applicants with voluntary agreements.It should be ok providing the employers do not bar entry because of the iva.

I do not agree with Matrix...do not volunteer relevant info if not asked. Intergrity...is also been assessed here from your application. An iva not something you forget like a one night stand. Be truthful on money matters...it should be Ok....your future
job is security sensitive.
Last edited by nomoremoney on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoas

Post by zoas » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm
Just wondering if anyone has gone through anything similar. I have been waiting for this job for 7 years. Do you think they will look in to the reasons why I had to take the option of applying for an IVA, which was domestic violence and divorce? I'm feeling so depressed because of this, it's a chance for me to progress and move on from a difficult past 4 years. It will be heart breaking for me to pass their test and interview and then not get through because of the IVA.
Patience is a virtue.

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:14 pm
Fingers crossed zoas - hope the phone call tells you what you need to know.

Have you looked on the website at all to see if there is anything on there?

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:59 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by nomoremoney
I do not agree with Matrix...do not volunteer relevant info if not asked. Intergrity...is also been assessed here from your application.
I'm not saying don't tell them if they ask, all I'm saying is if they don't ask they're not interested so don't volunteer. No breaking of integrity.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:41 pm
Agree - if they ask then you have to tell them. If they don't and they're not going to check then don't volunteer the info.

Check what it says on the application form and make that anonymous call just to make sure.

running_woodchucks

Post by running_woodchucks » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:04 pm
The answer is you will be fine, I am 2 years into an IVA and have just had SC Clearance come through last week.

However it is very important that you declare it on your form, if you don't and they find out, it lends strength to the argument that you are trying to hide things.

So be up front, put all the information in the form and everything should be OK.

zoas

Post by zoas » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32 pm
Running-woodchuck: did you give that info voluntarily in you sc questionnaire? Or did the employers specifically ask for it? Do you think I should declare the IVA even if they don't ask on the clearance form?
Patience is a virtue.
37 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”