need some advice re my IVA and pregnancy

8 posts Page 1 of 1

Geri14

Post by Geri14 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 pm
Hi
I need some advice re my IVA and pregnancy. I went into the IVA back in January and not long after found out I was pregnant. I informed my caseworker as soon as I knew and she said to continue making payments and we'd discuss a new budget when I started maternity leave.

I am now 7 weeks away from due date and my maternity leave starts next week. I have a call scheduled with her to discuss the new budget next week but I am really concerned as I still have quite a few things to buy before the baby is born, pram/cot/clothes etc and I want to make a reduced payment this month to buy these things but my caseworker hss told me that making a reduced payment breaks the arrangement and they might apply for further action to be taken against me as a new budget hasn't been agreed. Is there anything I can do to be able to purchese these items as I need them?? I am really starting to worry about this now and am concerned about how I will manage...

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:45 pm
Hi Geri and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the impending arrival - I bet you can't wait now!!

It is usual for you to take a short payment break whilst your are on maternity leave to cover the cost of buying essential items for the baby. This can only be done with your IP's permission, and you can expect to have to make up the missed payments at the end of the arrangement.

At the end of the day, the little one is far more important than a few debts, but it is entirely possible to manage both with a commercial and sympathetic IP behind you.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Geri14

Post by Geri14 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:07 pm
Hi Melanie
Thanks so much for the advice - it has reassured me!! I'll suggest that to my case worker when I discuss the new budget next week.
One more question, the company I have my IVA with (PayPlan) don't seem to be very helpful/flexible when it comes to my budget/circumstances - at the moment I have to stick to a VERY tight budget (which I understand why), I have to account for every penny I spend and all my other cash is taken for my IVA - I can't even allocate money for birthdays/christmas etc and at the end of the month I don't have ANY spare cash and am concerned about what might happen in an emergency (who knows what might happen with a baby on the way). I know I need to stick to a budget, but is it supposed to be so strict?? Is it possible to change "arrangers" if I'm already in a plan?
Geri [:)]

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:18 pm
Hey Geri, unfortunately you can't change from payplan now. IVAs can be quite strict. I know that you certainly can't include birthdays and christmas etc but you should be able to have a contingency amount allowed. Please hang in there and I'm sure Melanie will help further. Best wishes for you and the baby, wonderful news. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:27 pm
Geri

Under CCCS guidelines you ought to have allowances for Sundries and Emergencies and Sports, Hobbies and Entertainment in your budget. The best thing to do would be to now work out a post-baby budget and send it to your IP for his approval. If they do not agree with any of your figures, or the allowances you require, ask them why not.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

pixie

Post by pixie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:35 pm
Hi Geri, just wanted to say congratulations and wish you all the best. Your little one is the most important thing, don't let the iva ruin this precious time.
Let us know how you get on.
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

Geri14

Post by Geri14 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:35 am
Hi all
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and best wishes. I have been trying not to let this worry me too much but it has been niggling away at the back of my mind. Thanks though as I've now been reassured that things should be ok (as long as my case worker is human/sympathetic). Now just waiting for the new arrival - it's a complete suprise what we're having (I think knowing beforehand spoils it all)

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 am
Ooh, Geri, you must be so excited. Please keep posting, we're all here for you and we want to hear all about the baby![:)] X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “payment breaks”