need some advice

6 posts Page 1 of 1

summer2013

Post by summer2013 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:10 pm
Hello, I need someone to bring me back down to earth. Starting to have panic attacks about this iva. 5 years is such a long time. Im about to move out of my parents house and sharing with a friend. I am so so worried about not being able to rent in the future because of the iva....surely an iva will get me out of dept but will make my future more difficult??? Im only 3 months in and really struggling with the thought of the future. Have I done the wrong thing with this iva?? [:(]

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:25 pm
Hi Summer -- I can't say if it was the right thing for you without knowing the full circumstances -- but I assume you weighed up the pros and cons three months ago.

It will make your future far easier than a life of ever increasing debt and the stress and heartache that comes with it. In 6 years it will be off your record and you can star afresh.

As regards to renting, many of the posters on here have managed to rent whilst in an IVA -- it is best to be upfront with any agent or landlord.

5 years seems a long time looking forward -- but not so long when you get there and look back.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:37 pm
could you have carried on realistically without the IVA? If not then you did the right thing. Get the IVA done and learn the lessons and you will be a better person for the experience.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:55 pm
it's an excellent debt resource for many but not all. Hopefully you'll have made the right choice for yourself. Try and take it one month at a time rather than looking at the long term. time does fly by and when you're at the end it's very satisfying.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 pm
The only way I got over the feeling that I had let myself down was to treat the IVA like a 5 year loan. We had loads of those over the years!
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:10 pm
I know how you feel, felt exactly the same after first couple of months, felt as if I had to be accountable to up for every penny I spent, reality is coming up to 2nd review and time has flown by, take kazzafunk advise and treat like a loan things will settle down and you will learn to budget, good luck with your move and keep on going, staying positive and think how good it will be to be debt free
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “how are you coping?”