Needing a van and registering for VAT?

3 posts Page 1 of 1

RhysDean

Post by RhysDean » Sun May 11, 2008 5:33 pm
Hi everyone, this is my first post so may be a long one.

I'm self employed and have been in an joint IVA with FreemonJones since FEB 2007.
I have been self employed for 6 years now working for a local floor layer firm (i'm a floor fitter) but the money was allways a bit hit and miss earning between £300 to £700 per week as i got paid per metre for fitting. I have since left the company and started with another flooring firm, mainly because they pay me a "day rate" so i know that im getting a regular income each week, making my iva and bill payments easier to manage.
Unfortunately I had to give up a van that although i paid for the company supplied me.
(now the history is out the way)

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a van on contract so that i could claim back the payments at the end of each tax year rather than buying an old and possibly unreliable van (as i have no money to spare).

Lastly would it be possible to become VAT registered while in an IVA as i will be buying and then selling on materials that i get charged vat on but cant charge the buyer?

Many Thanks for reading and look forward to your reply.
Dean
Last edited by RhysDean on Sun May 11, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun May 11, 2008 5:37 pm
Hi Dean and welcome to the forum

I think that you will find it difficult to take out contract hire whilst you are in an IVA, but there is no harm in trying - albeit you will need to get your Supervisor's permission in advance.

Registration for VAT purposes will not be a problem as this is not affected by the IVA.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

RhysDean

Post by RhysDean » Mon May 12, 2008 10:55 pm
Thanks for the reply, Is there anyone on the forum that has managed to get a contract hire van that they could recomend as i would like to get some quotes that i can put forward to my IP?
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “self employed and company/business”