New job, no car!

5 posts Page 1 of 1

Haggis

Post by Haggis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm
Hi all,
I'll try and explain this situation as well as I can!
I'm kind of stuck and looking for advice regarding getting a car whilst in your IVA.
I'm in to the 2nd year of my IVA with ClearDebt.
There is a high probability that I will lose my job within the next few months, so as every pro-active person does, went out and got a new job.
Thing is, this job doesnt have a company car (my existing one does). Now obviously I have no disposable income as I'm on an IVA so I need a way of getting a car, whether leasing or getting some sort of short term finance is the answer I dont know.
I spoke to ClearDebt today and asked the question, I get the feeling the answer was pretty much no! Aslong as it doesn't affect my payments to them, then it MAY be ok. But obviously that probably isnt going to be possible as my free income wouldnt stretch that far.
Apologies for the waffling, but basically I was wondering what my options would be? As this job I have is a fantastic opportunity for me and in the long run surely me having a job is better for Cleardebt than me not having one?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:40 pm
The answer does not have to be no - but when I am asked the same question by my clients, I am always keen to know what they have done about trying to find finance.

Are there any friends or family members who could help - either by taking out a loan in their own name, with you meeting the repayments, or by offering a soft loan to you to be repaid once the IVA has concluded?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Haggis

Post by Haggis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:46 pm
Many thanks for your reply.
I have shopped around and there seem to be a few companies offering finance or leases to people in IVA's. The thing that worries me is if ClearDebt say no, then the only other alternative would be for someone else to loan the money?
That would be a possibility (a loan on my behalf). But is this a normal stance for an IVA provider? Seeing as my circumstances have changed since my last annual review (which was only last month).

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm
The IP at ClearDebt is widely respected in this industry and is very unlikely to say no if you have a clear proposal that is sensible and is still in the best interests of your creditors.

I think you will struggle to get direct finance, but there is no harm in trying, and if you were my client I would much rather you came to me with a solution rather than a problem - so try and find out if you can get funding or finance, and how much it is going to cost - and therefore the impact on the IVA.

I will alert Size 5 to this post - who works for ClearDebt and perhaps he can look into your case and speak to you directly.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Haggis

Post by Haggis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 pm
Ok thank you. I think you have mis-read my tone slightly which I apologise for.
I am just trying to get some idea's of what I can do before I propose anything to my IP.
On the note of getting someone else to get finance on my behalf, would this still be reported to my IP and counted towards my outgoings?
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “my car, can I keep it, repairs, etc”