New Kitten??

17 posts Page 1 of 2

kal

Post by kal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:22 am
Hi all,
A question for all you cat owners..and ones that have a new kitten.
I have 2 cats - about 11 yrs old roughly, and I so want to get a kitten (probably for my little girls birthday in Nov).
What I want to know is what you reckon my 2 cats would think of it - we did get a puppy a year or so ago and it was a disaster and we had to get rid (dh was allergic too), but the cats hated him and started to get ill, so I thought it was unfair on them.
But surely a kitten would not be so bad would it - they don;t like each other really and tend to do their own thing.
Do you think it's a daft idea, and I should wait until god forbid they go, or should I go for it!
k.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:43 am
Hi Kal,

Cats are funny characters,or maybe that's just my 2 [:D] very territorial.You would have to be very careful in the early days as they would be jealous and could attack the kitten.

Personally I would go for it, but have eyes in the back of your head.

Good luck x

kal

Post by kal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 pm
Thanks Julie - that's what worries me as they don't like each other much (and they are sisters!), so what would they be like with a new one!
How are Swansea doing this season - you have a season ticket don;t you?
I am getting my Uefa ticket tomorrow (Pompey), our first time..so looking forward to it.
k.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:08 pm
Kal - so far so good with The Swans we seem to be holding our own in the Championship but its early days yet. Mind you with our recent Spanish signings along with our manager (the best looking in all divisions IMO [;)]) we should be playing in La Liga.[:I]

How much do the UEFA tickets cost? (if you don't mind).I'm going to Spain next week for a hol and going to watch Barcelona when I'm there. Tickets range from 35 - 100 euros.

Do you think West Ham will try and tempt Harry away from Pompey????

kal

Post by kal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:14 pm
Harry has come out and said that he is quite happy to stay at Pompey (thank god).
I think with WH and Newcastle the expectation is so high that it would take a brave man to take it.
Can;t say I am surprised to see KK leave Newcastle (can;t stand the man myself!)...but who will take it.
Glad to hear things are going well for you - be great if you could get promotod eh.
Well it is only the home leg I am going to, and they have dropped the prices to £20 (for season ticket holders), so pretty good. I have no idea of the away price.
I am going to see if we get through into the UEFA cup league and then if we get a good team we may see about going (will have to save those pennies!
God to see Pompey in Europe...what a dream.
k.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:23 pm
I can't see why anyone would want the Newcastle or West Ham jobs - there's far too much pressure. I can't help feeling that Mark Hughes will be looking for a job by the end of the season if Man City don't win something.

I can't see Harry leaving (he should have been England manager though!) - he said himself he's got a chairman who lets him manage, which a lot of others don't have these days.

Good luck to Pompey in Europe!

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:28 pm
We have to be dreamers otherwise we wouldn't be football fans [:D]

So, any idea what you're going to do about the kitten?

kal

Post by kal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:39 pm
Must be great being a Man City Fan at the moment - all that money to throw around...but yes I agree they will have to win something this year, and not sure Robinho will be the one to do it for them!
Harry is a god in these parts...and he knows it, so no way would he leave that.
Not sure about the kitten - I want one and would go for it, but just spoke to dh (rained off again...arrggghh!), and he says he doesn't want one...so may have to use some of my gentle persuassion powers (not sure what they will be yet!!).
Watch this space!!!
k.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:44 pm
Robinho didn't even know who he'd signed for! I can't help thinking he might find winter in Manchester isn't for him...

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 pm
With the weather we're having Summer won't suit Robinho either [:D]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:56 pm
True, I hadn't thought of that!

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:58 pm
Hi Kal

I had 4 newborn kittens which I reared as the mom couldnt, I kept two of them, Cole and Syra

About seven months later a friend gave my daughter a half persian kitten, Ruby. After around a week all three cats were friendly. Ruby was much more aggressive towards the older cats, who ran away rather than confront her.

A few weeks ago I rescued two kittens from the RSPCA, (step daughter works for them) Oscar and Morgan. Morgan is a tiny scrawny thing with long fur but he means buisness and was aggressive towards the other cats, Ruby didnt stand any nonsense from him and put him in his place, without any blood spill. Oscar is a very nervous little thing and just hides away, although he has taken to cole, very laid back.

Cole and Syra have both been neutered and speyed. The others will be when they are old enough.

I think its really down to the personality of the older cats. We put cat milk on the kittens and the others took to them within a week or so, Ruby was a little bit more aggressive towards them but she thinks she is too good for the likes us. I wasnt going to keep Morgan and Oscar but they all get on so well, we have decided to keep them all.

BK, the mother of Cole and Syra, was a stray, she hates all the other cats, we had her neutered but she doesnt stay with us, sometimes she will come for food but it can be weeks in between visits, she gets megga frontlined each time, so I cant say I blame her really.

Hope this helps.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

kal

Post by kal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 pm
Thanks Lily, that is very useful and blimey to all them cats (but good for you!).
Well my 2 are;
Fliss - she is very much her own cat - doesn't really like humans that much...she about puts up with me, and sometime will let me stroke her (her back does arch downwards as I do it!)....she sleeps in my office, and does spend most days outside, and will 'let you' feed her! She is not aggresive, but will stand her ground if needed.
Bernie - she is very different to Fliss - loves me and often sits with me in the evening. She sleep on the little one's bed and lets her pick her up and walk her around the house. She is very gentle, but again would stand up for herself. She had a fight the other day....there is this other cat who winds them up and they ended up in this ball...I had to pull them apart and it shook Bernie up.
I don;t think they would attack a kitten, but then again who knows and I would hate for that to happen...and also I would hate them to get their noses put out and they leave home!
k.

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:37 pm
Yes it is a bit of a blimey, considering this time last year I didnt even own a cat. Now my house is full of them, but they have accepted each other very well. Its quite funny sometimes as they chase each other around the house in a train and there is never a dull moment. We were advised to give Oscar some hidy holes so he can retreat if he needs to. He is terrified of my sons, he was thrown into a maggot infested bin with his brother, Morgan. I just hope that he will forgive the human race and be happy with us for a very long time. None of my cats left home, by the way, when I said they ran away from Ruby, they just didnt confront her. BK was a stray that came with the house, she dumped 4 kittens and b*****ed off.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

kal

Post by kal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:18 pm
I can never understand how people can be so cruel to animals - at least there are people like you Lily to look after them.
I would have loads of cats and dogs if I could - Dogs are just great for their loyalty etc, and I love cats personalities...they can be so funny.
I shall have to work on dh and see if there is a way of us getting a kitten!! I'll wear him down!
k.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “pets corner”