new skills while saving afew quid

30 posts Page 2 of 2

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:00 pm
Hubby will be doing his pickled onions again soon, and probably some pickled cabbage and beetroot.

Set us up for Christmas.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:00 am
Impressed kazzafunk, I'm really not a domesticated person at all but do wish I enjoyed it.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 am
Well done barb-our kitchen was starting to look a bit tired and we looked at the cheapest replacement doors at homebase and it would have cost us over 150 quid-plus they looked really cheap!!!
So, I sanded the old doors down,bought some paint and grain and now it looks like we have a new antique pine kitchen-all for 20 quid!!!
It took 3 days of waiting for coats to dry and varnishing but it does look fantastic.
Previous to the iva we would have thought nothing about buying a new kitchen on credit, and I bet it wouldnt look half as good as the one we have now!!!
You do feel great when you are able to *do up* your house and stay within budget, I know this being frugal lark will carry on way after the iva finishes!!!
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:25 am
I'm thankful that my hubby is a whiz with DIY. It has saved us a fortune over the years.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm
It's my hubby's job (for the time being!) so he can do a fair few things....money permitting!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Isis Black

Post by Isis Black » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:08 pm
hi there, were just waiting for some money to come from my hubbys work to then see if were allowed to keep any (hope so!!!!) then with luck we will be learning new skills as we want to redo the whole garden! get rid of the grass, have paths and raised beds, which will be made by us, a new thing to learn to make

once thats all done i hope we can begin to have a go at growing our own fruit and veg
this time next year We'll be millionaires :-)

chrisA

Post by chrisA » Fri May 11, 2012 8:48 pm
Hi . So far this year i`ve had the washing machine in bits3 times and luckily with the help of the web have got the parts and instructions to put it all abck together again. and it still works.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 pm
My hubby had to have our cooker to bits this year and luckily he fixed it, just hoping it holds out. x

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 pm
Resourceful our hubbies aren't they !!!!

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kev59

Post by kev59 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:08 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by barb

Today I took apart and fitted a replacement motor (cost £10 from a scrap yard) in the door panel of our car to fix the drivers side electric window, I used you tube videos for instructions and it worked, I feel really chuffed with myself and I have saved us a trip to the garage.
Well done on replaceing the motor, I work on car's myself and know its not eacy to get a motor out of the door.
IVA now over with and it was worth it.
now starting my life again,

footiemad

Post by footiemad » Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 am
Great isn't it! So far this year Hubby has fixed the Hoover, kettle and 2 chairs (making new base and covering), sorted pc monitor and many other minor things whereas a couple of years ago they would have gone straight to the dump quickly followed by new ones!!!!

Andy1964

Post by Andy1964 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:38 am
I'm pretty sure that some repairs and maintenance I've done at home are not entirely legal[:0] but I feel confident doing stuff and know my limits and as I've not drowned, flooded, electrocuted or set fire to anyone or anything then I'll carry on saving money where I can[:)]
If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.

Funds paid to date accepted as F&F 16th August 2013, the wait for completion begins.
Wait over....certificate recieved 3rd May 2014

Anna.da

Post by Anna.da » Tue May 15, 2012 2:36 pm
We moved house a year ago and everything needs doing! On an IVA budget we have certainly had to learn to prioritise and do what we can ourselves. My hubby is in the middle of refitting our bathroom we got a toilet for free, sink for 99p and jacuzzi bath for £50 off ebay! Value tiles from homebase. He has to do a bit at a time each weekend so its been going on for a while now, but i can't complain because he works so hard to get things done for us. we also got kitchen door fronts off ebay for 99p so going to sand them down and varnish them. This is actually one aspect of the IVA i quite enjoy, it gives me so much satisfaction when we fix something or buy something at a bargain price, i'm just amazed now at how much people waste!! With 2 young children we also sell on clothes and toys when they are no longer needed which gives us a few extra pounds each month.

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 am
Could I borrow someone's husband please as a DIY person my hubby is a very good chef! [:D][:D]

I do all the DIY in our house.[:)]
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu May 17, 2012 2:09 pm
He would help you if you wanted PJL no problems. We're off for a weekend to Luluj's and he's hanging her new doors for her whilst we're there! I'll supervise of course!
30 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “money saving tips”