Next Frugal Friends Meeting - Bradford, 12th July

185 posts Page 1 of 13

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri May 23, 2008 12:25 am
Andy and I are off to Leeds on Tuesday, and amongst other issues we are going to be looking for a suitable venue for the next Frugal Friends meeting - which is planned for Yorkshire and the North East.

We have not been to this area before and are unsure whether there will be much interest - and I am pencilling in Saturday, 12 July 2008 as a suitable date - so can we see how many people would be interested in this meeting. It is my turn to host the evening, and I will be ensuring a very informal occasion - where we simply sit together in relaxed surroungings (a pub or hotel bar), have some sandwiches and sausage rolls and a good old gossip. As usual the cost of the evening, including feeding and watering is all down to us.

Can we have a show of hands if there is any interest in this venue and if the date is suitable. As with the Portsmouth meeting, we will find somewhere close to the motorway network where parking is easy and for those wishing to stay overnight we will try and negotiate good rates.

If there is little interest in Leeds, the most popular request so far seems to have been Manchester - so that will act as a good first reserve. The intention for future meetings is to have them once every two months in the following suggested geographical areas, on the second Saturday of each second month:-

North East and Yorkshire
Home Counties and London
Midlands
North West
South West and Wales
South Coast

Timings will be from 7.00 pm onwards - but really just drop in when you like - and if there are any new members (or existing ones as a matter of fact) who wish some one to one advice from Andy and myself about debt options, existing IVA queries or just a second opinion on something, we will be running a debt surgery for an hour and a half prior to the meeting. If anyone does wish to have a short, private meeting with either or both of us, then please e-mail Andy nearer the time. Also if anyone wants any issues raised as part of the discussion, please let us know and we will ensure that they are tabled (informally of course!)

For anyone who has not yet attended a Frugal Friends meeting - can I say how valuable they are in meeting new friends and sharing new ideas. There is absolutely nothing to fear, and some of the regular attenders will act as hosts and can meet you outside or in the foyer first. I shall look forward to meeting some of you again very soon, and if anyone out there has any recommendations for venues for any of the above areas, they will be very much welcomed.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

angela18

Post by angela18 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:52 am
Hi Melanie..

Leeds would be good for me and hubby as he is off that weekend 12th July.. count us in[:)]
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri May 23, 2008 7:08 am
Hi Melanie

I've never been to Leeds ... only ever seen it in the distance! And Saturday 12th July is great for me ... I really look forward to meeting up with some old friends and new ... for anyone thinking of attending, but not sure ... please do, these are really lovely, friendly and informal occasions.[:)]

Debbie
Debbie

angela18

Post by angela18 » Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 am
I can't wait to put faces to names.. especially to meet Melanie and thank her personally. think Leeds is only about 90 minutes from us
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

cfnc

Post by cfnc » Fri May 23, 2008 7:44 am
Thanks for that Melanie, I missed the Portsmouth meeting as I had only just joined this site.

I look forward to the next meeting near me.

Kirsty
Kirsty

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Fri May 23, 2008 8:03 am
I'll have to check my busy diary but I think I might be free....lol
xx
It's nice to be back......

pixie

Post by pixie » Fri May 23, 2008 8:17 am
Count me in [:D]

Somewhere near a train station would be ideal [:)]
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri May 23, 2008 8:44 am
I'll have to speak to Dave as that might be a little bit too far for us!

elizabethr

Post by elizabethr » Fri May 23, 2008 9:15 am
Leeds is fine for me - I go there quite a lot with work. Its a lovely shopping centre if you have time before to wander around - only window shopping though!!!!!

There are lots of hotels near the train centre - some are more pricey than others for drinks.

Hotels near -

Parc Plaza - diagonally across from the taxi rank outside at the bottom of incline.

Queens - out of station complex via taxi rank - turn left out of complex and left at traffic lights (only a few yards away).

Metropole - turn left at same lights past the Queens - cross over but keep going straight as if you are passing the Queens on the other side - I think there may be a small side road or back street but ignore and next right I think.

Marriott - turn left out of station at taxi rank outside, follow hill round and turn right at main road - not sure how far down (not far though) you can turn right into a place called Trevellion Square and there is the Marriott - think the drinks are pricey there.

Follow the same route as the Marriot and there is a bar which is quite nice but not sure how busy it will be on a saturday.

Hilton Can't remember how you get to it exactly but its behind the station in a different direction to the others - I am in leeds next week and I will have a look.

Pubs - there two pubs actually on the station put having looked in them they look a bit - yuk. One is a Weatherspoons but its not as nice as most weatherspoons- see what you think.

I think a lot of the pubs might be quite busy in Leeds on a Saturday as its a big student area.

Hope thats useful - might think about starting a "pub/hotel bar" comparison site !!!!!

Just had a call from MBNA - told them I was going for an IVA - they were actually very nice and helpful but asked me if I would like to talk to their insolvency practitioner - which I declined.

They wouldn't normally have caught me as I would have left for work by now - actually should be off today "Queens Birthday" but am going in later for a few hours coz have so much to catch up on. Never mind I will have a drink for the Queen later after work.
Elizabeth

aguise

Post by aguise » Fri May 23, 2008 9:25 am
Steve and I should be able to attend. Not sure of the distance, so will definately need to stay.

Ang
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

plec

Post by plec » Fri May 23, 2008 10:31 am
leeds would be fine for us
High hopes & skint pockets!!

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 pm
Leeds is perfect for me only a 20min drive. OH and I would love to come.

Dee

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri May 23, 2008 1:06 pm
Just spoken to Dave, a definite no for us I'm afraid.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri May 23, 2008 1:29 pm
Can't make Leeds - will have to wait for the SW & Wales meeting.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm
Sorry I can't make it this time but would love to come to one of the meets, I'm going to see The Police in June and cannot afford to go away in again July sadly. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
185 posts Page 1 of 13
Return to “past frugal friends meetings”