not going back to work

24 posts Page 1 of 2

amyc

Post by amyc » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:00 pm
what happens to an iva if you do not return to work after having a child. we are considering what to do when maternity finishes. we will noit be able to afford putting two children into childcare. the only option i can see is not returning to work. My contribution to the IVA is 162 and my partners is 106. so stressful, will Iva payment be reduced or will i still be expected to pay ful amount. should be a happy time but al iam doing is worrying. any help greatly appreciated

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:54 pm
Hi Amy,

Childcare is very expensive. Do you have any family members who can help you out with this?

You really need to speak to your IP about this and discuss the implications it will have on your IVA.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

amyc

Post by amyc » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:47 pm
unfortunately we are still quite young ourselves , we are both 22 so our parents still all work full time. we have looked into childcrae and it stands at about £30per child per day and i don not want them to be in full time child care. seems like a lose lose situation

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:56 pm
I must admit that when my daughter was small, she went to a childminder as we both worked full time, and a more excellent one we could not have wished for.

I fully understand that you don't want this Amy, and I'm behind you 100%. I wished I could have stayed at home.

You do need to contact your IP though, as you are in their hands.

I am sure they will be sympathetic.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

amyc

Post by amyc » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:25 pm
thank you for help and reassurance. i will contact clear debt and see what can be done

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:08 pm
It depends on how much you earn as to what child tax credits you get. You are also only allowed so much free child care and that has to be in term time. Anything outside that you have to pay for.

Worth speaking to HMRC to see what you will be getting though, and any credits would go up, as ladyh says, if you do give up work.
Bob Marley.

amyc

Post by amyc » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:38 pm
thank you for advice. i rang the tax credits helpline and they were very unhelpful. they will not really tell me anything until i am not working. i tried the online calculator but its a bit confusing. my eldest does not go to school for another 2 years so not ssure if that would be an option.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:14 pm
Speak to Cleardebt on Monday and explain the situation to them.

That should be your first port of call to see how your IVA will be affected.

Let us know what they say.
Bob Marley.

amyc

Post by amyc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:54 am
just a quick question. our car insurance has recently gone up by £30 a month and our tax credits have gone DOWN by nearly £50 a month. is this something i need to inform clear debt because obviously its leaving us £80 short every month. was not sure if it would make a difference

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:58 am
I would tell them about that as well as it could mean that you are struggling if you are £80 a month short all of the time. You should be able to manage not worry about how you are going to last to the end of the month.

Let us know what they say.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:58 pm
Good luck Amyc, and please let us know how you get on x

amyc

Post by amyc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:17 pm
thank you for advice , i will get onto iva company tomorrow. i am sure they will be able to put my mind at rest

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:21 pm
As your current contributions to the IVA are very low, the are also very susceptible to change. I do hope that the arrival of the little one will not affect your ability to repay, but this is clearly now a much higher priority for you.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

amyc

Post by amyc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:37 pm
when you say that repayments are low and may well change do you mean that they will probably go up. we are just scraping now. have had to recyce old mobile phones to buy food shopping this month. had a big vet bill and another unexpected bil this month

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:39 pm
No - I rather think that they are likely to go down amy.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “a success story”