Nowt to do with IVA's just people.....

17 posts Page 1 of 2

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Sat May 17, 2008 1:32 pm
A few weeks ago the present Mrs Scollen and I decided to pop out one Sunday for a bit of a drive. On the way home I noticed a car parked at the side of the road with its hazard lights flashing. Motorists on the same side of the road drove around them , some at speed. I drove a few miles further on until I could safely turn around a drove back to see if the car was still there. It was and the driver was an elderly gent in his 70's with his wife who suffered from Alzheimers. He had been out to lunch as it was one of his lady's better days but on the way home his car had broken down. He had tried to flag people down but no one stopped so he was about to try to walk to the next village for help. I bundled them into my car and drove them to my house where we rang his Breakdown Service, gave them a cup of tea then ran his wife home. I then took him back to his car and awaited the RAC. This morning there was a knock on my door at 8.45 and the old fellow was standing there with the biggest bunch of flowers you have ever seen. He's also invited us to his house for a meal next week. Looking forward to it [:D][:D]
Last edited by Wizzard on Sat May 17, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sat May 17, 2008 1:38 pm
What a nice person you are Ray [:)] I am constanly amazed, saddened and angered at the number of people who just ignore people in need...[:(!][:(]I have seen it so, so many times. I'm like you and always wade in to help....Let's face it - it could be us or one of our families on another occasion.....Just good to know that there ARE nice people around and I'm beginning to think an awful lot of them are on this very site!! [:D][:D]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:40 pm
Ray that was so nice of you! In this day and age the vast majority of people won't stop and help. I suppose you can't blame them really, but ifI had seen an elderly gent flagging me down I think I would have stopped as well.

You are a true gent and I hope you enjoy your meal next week.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

freelili

Post by freelili » Sat May 17, 2008 1:42 pm
Thats so lovely ray, I am touched. I hope you enjoy the meal and the flowers.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

cfnc

Post by cfnc » Sat May 17, 2008 1:47 pm
That was a lovely thing to do and i am sure that the gentleman was grateful that you helped him.

Enjoy your flowers and meal.

Kirsty
Kirsty

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 pm
That's a great gesture Ray, it's a pity more people weren't like you. What a lovely thought with the flowers and the meal.
With the way the world is today you do really have to be careful in being too trusting but this goes to show that, on the whole, people are nice....
Enjoy your meal,
xx
It's nice to be back......

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat May 17, 2008 1:57 pm
That's a lovely thing to do Ray - enjoy the meal x

angela18

Post by angela18 » Sat May 17, 2008 3:01 pm
ooh Ray you're a scholar and a gent... bet that man was so relieved when you helped.. you're a star!!
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

facingittogether

Post by facingittogether » Sat May 17, 2008 3:18 pm
RAY - HOW LOVELY YOU ARE! THAT JUST BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE!

HOPE YOU HAVE A LOVELY EVENING WITH THEM, THE OLD GENTLMAN MUST HAVE BEEN SO GRATEFUL TO YOU - YOU ARE A STAR !

BARB X
12 down - 60 to go! woo hoo!

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sat May 17, 2008 4:28 pm
Its an unfortunate situation caused by modern society, you never know who your stopping for, whether they're gonna take your car or worse!

I had a similar situation not too long ago when I tried to flag down a passing police van because a drug addict had passed out in the gutter in Manchester city. They slowed down suggested I phoned an ambulance & drove off. Too much paperwork I guess!
its a marathon not a sprint!

I'm out of my mind but please leave a message!

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat May 17, 2008 5:10 pm
Hi
Great post Ray,we should all help each other as much as we can in life
Regards
Andam Davies

scooby0

Post by scooby0 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:14 pm
Good for you Ray [:D][:D]

Enjoy your meal and the flowers - who knows you may have made a new friend

jaspersgirl2

Post by jaspersgirl2 » Sat May 17, 2008 7:43 pm
What a star! This reminds me of when I was backpacking around Oz...there was this lady in her senior yrs trying to cross a v busy road in Melbourne to the hospital...I helped her across as she stood very little chase of getting to the other side in one piece. I had a postal address when I was over there..mainly so my mum could send me £££!!!! When I got to my next city I checked it and this lady sent me and lovely handkerchief and letter thanking me for helping her. I was really touched by this...!

There are nice people out there....it's same old same old...you only hear about the bad things that happen.

Enjoy the meal Ray...and the flowers.

Jasp

drowning-mummy

Post by drowning-mummy » Sat May 17, 2008 7:55 pm
Good on you Ray.
Karma. You did something good and now good things will come to you.
I always wade in. I remember being in very high heels once helping push a strangers car off the A23 (I was in my full air-hostess regalia!), all the blokes drove by!
I've also ben helped in times of need and I never forget it. Restores your faith doesnt it?
"Theres always time to fly a kite....."

Visit my blog:
http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/?p=3

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Sat May 17, 2008 7:56 pm
Enjoy Ray!

Your deserve it.

I'm constantly getting an ear bashing for being too nice - I personally didn't realise you could be too nice - maybe it is me that's stupid and not everyone around me?

As I said, enjoy the meal - it was very nice of you.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for may”