OMG, I have got a council house......

29 posts Page 2 of 2

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:21 pm
I'm so pleased to read this post this morning Jane. You and I have been on the forum for about the same time, but have had different journeys and I have followed yours with some interest. When I remember all those dark days at the beginning, when you did not know who to believe in and trust, and I read your posts now where you are so positive, it is inspiring for others to see that things can actually go right if you try hard enough.

I wish you the very best of luck in your new home - which sounds fabulous. Is it in a nice area?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

tori

Post by tori » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:25 pm
congratulations jane[:D]what wonderful news for you.hope you'll be very happy in your new home! x
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:33 pm
Thanks to everyone, I am feeling emotional today, not sure why!

its been a tough journey!

My new house is actually in the number 1 area that I applied for as my first choice and believe it or not, we looked to buy a house on this row many years ago but got gazumped! I have always liked the area, it is on the edge of the town next to a huge park and open fields, still can't believe how lucky we have been, think it is all a dream!

Just spent an exhauting day buying curtains, and poles and light fittings and sorting out the carpets, (the biggest expense) and not forgetting, we have no credit now so have to make do with what we have managed to save up, but I think we have done ok. carpets are being fitted on Wednesday so can move in as soon as we want after that! its all so fast![:D]
Last edited by jane.l on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:14 pm
That's great news...I was repossessed (as opposed to giving back the keys) and have small children and so I know how awful it is to lose your home and wonder where the hell you are going to be living...Life is also much better for me now. Onwards and upwards for us both!
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

freelili

Post by freelili » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:28 pm
Wow

It must feel like a dream, even though its a good thing, you've every right to be emotional, You deserve it though, with all the uncertainty and although you managed to secure a nice private rental, its not permanent. So just enjoy, noone can take anything away from you now. I hope you settle in really soon.

Its fantastic news for the kids too, eh? New school year, new home, new life.

I hope now that you can look ahead to many happy years, no more tears, you have finally arrived. Best wishes.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:33 pm
That's great news Jane, I hope you're really happy in your new home x

Post by 2012 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 am
The coucil's waiting list system is based on need and having an IVA and Bankrupcy(discharged)would not discrimate anyone from the provisions. Its all on points scoring and prioritising 'need'....it works well. Caroline Flint, Housing Minister today appears to be less sympathetic to the Labour left in social housing provisions these days....she said interestingly that some coumcils have on file 3 generations of families in social provision applications with no employment and wants to link employment to rights to social housing in the future. Along with Darling's comments on the Economy there is a change in political soundbites......desperate voices echoeing in these dark grimm times
Last edited by 2012 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do we buy junk and say it is not what we need but what we want?"

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:07 am
An interesting post ... thank you. So, if I have read that correctly, does that mean that if you don't have a job you are not entitled to a council house? ... are we going back to the Ark I wonder!

Debbie
Debbie

clingOn

Post by clingOn » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 pm
Oh how marvelous it is for you Jane!
I've read some of your posts and think its truly dreadful how you've struggled. Its a good job you've got the support of Andy on here isn't it?
Last edited by clingOn on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachellxx39

Post by rachellxx39 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:57 pm
Hi so glad for you and your family , i know what it feels like to be rehoused in a council house , although my situation was some what different to yours. We had been suffering anti social behaviour for 2 years , along with my daughter being disabled and my husband suffering bad depression he went to try and committ sucide. We lived on a terrible estate and had constant verbal abuse. The council wouldnt budge and move us , we couldnt take any more and we wrote a desperate letter to the houses of parliment .This was going on while we had the debt problems also. However in april this year the council backed down and moved us to a 3 bedrrom semi,on the best estate in our city. We have a lovely new life, the children are happy and have started new schools. For the first time in 3 years we can live our lives in peace and quiet.We are just saving the money to go bankrupt after we failed our ivas. Our daughter is having an operation sometime in December and we felt that she must come before any debt. We have had a rough ride but your post has inspired me that there is hope and the end of dark tunnel.Thankyou Rachel and family x

rachellxx39

Post by rachellxx39 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:06 pm
Caroline Flint wants people are not even trying to get a job , and cant be bothered to get one,but claim social benefits.To be re assessed when applying for a council property. She believes that with low employment on alot of council estates it leads to other problems ie. anti social behaviour. After living next to a 20 year old young lad ,his girlfriend and 2 children for 2 years and suffering like we did i support her 100%. He didnt want to work,claimed benefit,didnt keep to council rules,kept 3 pit bull terriers that frightened my kids to death,kept his garden a complete mess , and did drugs in his garden with his mates.We got moved but hes still therecausing the same trouble. But unlike us some people are too scared to do anything about it.He should loose his council house and some other family should get it who deserve it .

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:12 pm
I totally agree with you Rachel. Some people won't help themselves, and seem determined to make other people's lives a misery. Why should they have everything handed to them on a plate when people who do try to help themselves get nothing?

In reply to James, there's a difference between being unemployed because you can't get a job, and being unemployed because you won't get a job and I think that's what the government need to deal with. Don't penalise people who can't get a job because they are too old, don't have the correct skills etc, but don't give everything to those who won't even try.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:40 pm
I'm so pleased for you Jane, you deserve it, I hope you have true happiness in your new home.

Out of curiosity how do you all find your local councils when it comes to housing and improvements? My daughter recently vacated her council maisonette as she can now afford to rent a larger house on a nice estate ( not to mention its a street away from good old mum [:D]). She had improved the maisonette decorative wise beyond recognition. Put new doors, skirting etc, only to be told she either had to put the maisonette back to its original condition or pay the council a fee!. Now, that sounded really barmy to me as any new tenant would have appreciated to be able to move straight in. We were told the "renovations did not meet council standards". Best joke I've heard in a long time [:D].

Needless to say, I won't let her part with money for such an inane reason - so she left the maisonette as it was and a very strong worded letter, along with before and after pics went to head of housing and our local councillor. 2 months on and the council have yet to respond.

Just wondered if this is common practice throughout councils??

Til

Post by Til » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:16 pm
I agree Ray - as the old saying goes - never discuss religion or politics! [;)]
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.
29 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “keeping in touch”