ONE YEAR ON....

23 posts Page 1 of 2

s.b.w

Post by s.b.w » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:05 pm
Hello everyone and a big smiley face to you all! [:D]

Well, it's now fast approaching a year from the completion of my IVA and I just wanted to say that all of you who are at the earlier stages of your plan... just keep going! It's worth it in the end.

For the first time in years I'm actually debt free, living on a sensible budget and heaven forbid ahead with my rent!

It's weird, but I've found the IVA has taught me that I can save fo things I need (I'm about to purchase a washing machine.... the first new thing I have ever purchased for myself without going into debt....wow)!

I've started to pay back friends who helped me through the hard times and it's great to be able to say thank you by re-paying small loans of money or even taking them out for a meal.... you'd be surprised how great it feels by paying for something with cash and knowing that money's yours and not from a credit card or loan.

I'm writing this just to give you guys out there who are just starting out or a few year's into your IVA a bit of a heads up and hopefully a good story to keep you going.... I know how hard it can be and all I can say is keep at it, it's a long old road and at times very lonely, just keep battling and you'll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel sooner than you think.

Good luck everyone....

Shaz x[:X]
Last edited by s.b.w on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!
If only I'd said NO!

Go to my blog at:

http://shazzy.blogs.iva.co.uk/

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:08 pm
Hi Shaz,

It's great to read a post from someone who has come out the other side and is still doing ok after 12 months.

I've still a long way to go yet, but I hope I am as positive as you when I've finished.

Keep posting to let us all know how you are doing, and of course it gives hope to all newbies posting on here.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

s.b.w

Post by s.b.w » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:11 pm
Hiya Jan...

Hell... I know how hard it can be and I just wanted to scream out to you all and say "it can work and hopefully for you it will work"!

If your ever feeling down just drop me a line!

I'm not saying it's easy now, far from it, but at least I can say " I got myself into this situation and I managed to get myself out of it"!

Keep your head up and more importantly, keep smiling!

Shaz x
Arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!
If only I'd said NO!

Go to my blog at:

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:12 pm
I do my best! 1st year review coming up shortly, so that will be interesting!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

s.b.w

Post by s.b.w » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Know exactly where your coming from Jan.

My first review was I think the most scared I'd ever been.

I kept thinking to myself "what exactly are they going to ask" and "could they say your earning to much and can pay more", especially when your barely managing as it is.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Shaz x
Arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!
If only I'd said NO!

Go to my blog at:

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:21 pm
I'm sure I'll be posting lots about it once they get in touch!
Bob Marley.

MP1965

Post by MP1965 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:28 pm
Nice to read your post Shaz...

I myself have 4 more payments to go & find it quite surreal that after then I will be debt free for the first time in 17 years!

It must be an amazing feeling to finally be debt free... [:D]
** IVA Completed **

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 pm
awww well done sbw and congrats x
happy iva anniversary

tori

Post by tori » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:15 pm
What a lovely, positive post Shaz..it really is inspiring to read about people who have finally reached the end of their iva[:D]..and i hope that you continue to enjoy your debt free life!! xx..
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:27 am
Great news and it shows one year on and you are budgeting and saving well without getting into debt. So whilst the 5 years of an IVA can be difficult it definitely instils a new beggining into managing your finances once free of the monthly payment. Well done and pleased for you.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

Fallenhero

Post by Fallenhero » Fri May 22, 2009 9:15 pm
I just like to thank you for your words...i just started my IVA...i cant tell you how happy i feel at the moment...i know its going to be hard but you given me hope that it will work..i was hiding my debt from my girlfriend of five years..we sat down one night a few months just before i decided about going forward and applying for an IVA.I thought it was make or break time...she given me nothing but support and now understands why i never had any money cause i was always paying my credit card bills and trying to keep my head above water.My relationship is stronger than is ever been..My mother if she had found out how much debt i was in,would of broke her heart..I am started to look forward and every day is like a new day for me...

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri May 22, 2009 11:23 pm
A great post which I'm sure will help others. Fallenhero - I'm glad you have confided in your girlfriend, its very hard to keep debt to yourself. My hubby did that and I know the relief he felt when he told me...it also meant I could help(take over [:)]).)and find the right solution for us.

Jan - with all the great advice and support you give it is so easy to forget you are still in an IVA. You really are an inspiration.!

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 23, 2009 5:40 am
Glad things are working out for you too Fallenhero and that your girlfriend has given you the support you deserve.

I echo Swans girl sentiments as Jan (Kallis3) is fantastic with her time and dedication on this forum.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

Ren

Post by Ren » Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 pm
Thank you for this post Shaz.
ust considering the best options for us at the moment and am swaying towards the IVA just to stop the constant stream of letters through the door.
I am really pleased that you have come out the other end in one piece (am slightly envious haha) and hope that we will find that relief one day which ever way we do this.
Just one query. Have you tried to apply for credit at all since and if so how did it go?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 pm
People generally are able to apply for credit once their IVA has concluded, but most people choose not to for a while as it is a relief to have that extra money to put into savings or actually spend - after having a few very frugal years.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
23 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “a success story”