opening a new bank account

45 posts Page 2 of 3

gdp

Post by gdp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:24 pm
Well,

I visted Lloyds & Yorkshire Bank this morning.

Both seemed happy to offer me an account. I was leaning towards Lloyds until they told be i could only withdraw cash from their cash machines. I know I'm being fussy but that is a pain in the ass!!!

If i'm travelling away, on a night out or in the middle of knowhere what are you supposed to do??

Yorkshire again were happy to see me but said i had to make an appointment to open an account as they are only aloud to open 1 basic account a day! Next appointment was 2 weeks away!!
I have managed to book in at another branch (15 miles away) for next Monday.

I would really prefare to go with Lloyds but that cash machine thing is a real negative.

How are other people finding it?

Thanks

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:53 am
Morning

Sorry just to throw another one into the mix, I am with Nat West and think they are great. You get a debit card and online banking. I didnt event go into the branch i opened the basic account online. I hope this helps!

greedfighter

Post by greedfighter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:08 am
I am with Natwest (Step Account) and my wife with Coop (cashminder) -we both have a debit card with the accounts, were able to open the accounts without any problems and received all the stuff within the week.

neither were that interested in our IVA.

aguise

Post by aguise » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:56 am
I know a lot dont like this account but there is always thinkbanking. It is disliked as there is a 12.50 charge per month for the account, but it does come with a maestro and you can withdraw at any cashpoints, I have not had a problem in two years. You cant go overdrawn, they withhold debits for the month when you get paid and it saves me worrying and checking every five mins. The only thing is you cant get a balance form the machines but you can text for it and the balance comes straight back. They do not credit check doesnt matter who your creditors are this account is designed for those with these probs. Account takes about ten mins to open over the phone, you get your account number at the same time.
Always an option if all else fails.

Ang x
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

gdp

Post by gdp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:21 pm
Hi Everyone,

Decided to give Lloyds ago this afternoon and i got REJECTED!!!

They ran a credit check and it came back negative (obviously) but they wouldn't even offer me the cash account. I actually thought they were quite snotty with me and the lady not in so many words said that Lloyds must have changed the policy and don't want people in your position banking with them.

Frustrated I went straight into Halifax next door and spoke to the much prettier and friendly ladies, I explained what had just happened and they said their cash account would not be a problem as there is no credit check. They told me to apply online which I just have. It has just responded saying that It has to to a credit reference against me to make a decision and I will find out in the next 7 days!!!

I wouldn't mind but I have no hair left to pull out!!! I've still got my appointment with Yorkshire on Monday but I might just consider Think Banking now too.

Any thoughts & stories please keep adding below

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:26 pm
What a pain!

Have you tried Nationwide, or are they one of your creditors?

Fingers crossed that Yorkshire Bank are more accommodating.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

gdp

Post by gdp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:47 pm
Nationwide & Natwest are on my main list of creditors so they are a no no. I spoke to my IVA company today and they suggested that perhaps Lloyds were part of my other creditors (ie credit card / store card etc) that i wouldn't have known of. They said that the high street banks are often behind the other borrowers and lenders.

Just to add more confusion then!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:59 pm
Have you tried the Co-op? I've got their Cashminder account and I've had no problems with it. You get a Visa Electron card with it and I've not had too many problems with it not being accepted.

debtmountain

Post by debtmountain » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:27 pm
Hi gdp,

I was given a List of Banks some time ago when enquiring about opening up a Basic Bank Account, and they state reason why application may be declined, and also who the Banks are associated with. The majority state reason why application may be declined is due to Fraud or Un-Discharged Bankrupt. Not sure if this is classed with IVA's as well? The only 2 on the list that mentioned Fraud only were, Barclays Cash Card Account and Co-operative Bank Cashminder Account. Me and Hubby opened a Cashminder as we wanted Online Banking plus Barclays are one of our Creditors so didn't have much choice anyway[:D]. On the list it states that Barclays are associated with Woolwich,Barclaycard and Monument so as long as these aren't any of your creditors, they may be worth a try? Co-op is only associated with Smile?. I think someone mentioned another reason that an account could be declined is if you are not on the Electoral Roll? but could be wrong. I must say that we are very happy so far with Co-op, they have been very helpful to us. Hope this helps a bit [:)] By the way, it states that Lloyds TSB are also associated with Black Horse, Scottish Widows and Cheltenham and Gloucester.
IVA accepted 13/11/2008..17 payments down,55 to go..

gdp

Post by gdp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Well, Monument were also one of my creditors so at least i can rule out Barclays too!

I might pop into the Co-Op tomorrow.

Thanks

gdp

Post by gdp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:25 pm
I've now changed my Avatar to banging head. It's quite apt at the moment! It can change to a pretty landscape when I'm sorted out!

p.s. I'm so happy I have found this forum. We should arrange some local meet ups. How about a singles night! Actually, I can't afford to go out! hmm..................

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm
Did you know that we do meet up every couple of months in various parts of the country?

They're called Frugal Friends evenings, Melanie Giles usually sponsors the evening and all food and drink is supplied. Some people stay overnight, but not all.

The next one is November in Walsall. I've not been to one yet, but am looking forward to it. They are good nights by all accounts.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:37 pm
We would love to have you at one of the Frugal Friends nights, gdp, and hopefully you will be able to get to one soon.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

gdp

Post by gdp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:37 pm
I've just been reading a little about this. I've sent Andy an e-mail to suggest a meeting in the North West (my neck of the woods!)

Would be great to meet up with people in a similar situation.

gdp

Post by gdp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:39 pm
Hi Melanie, that would be great. I'm near Chester / Liverpool
45 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “new bank accounts for IVA”