OR Telephone Meeting Today

103 posts Page 6 of 7

coco

Post by coco » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:07 pm
I think there should absolute clear guidelines on BR for I & E, househould good etc. as so many OR's seem to work differently and some agree to certain items as where other wont. When i was considering BR earlier this year i got so many different anwsers as what i could loose what to put down etc. I never put any of my household items down as I there was no value in it again what do you seperate as being essential or not it depends on the person.

I still find it hard to believe what i have read.

We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.
We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.

queenie

Post by queenie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm
As a rule of thumb, what the OR believes you should declare as an asset is anything you have that is of exceptional value. But this is of course a matter of perspective. What one person considers of exceptional value another may consider it otherwise.

Queenie
Queenie

UPINSMOKE

Post by UPINSMOKE » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:56 pm
queenie wrote:

As a rule of thumb, what the OR believes you should declare as an asset is anything you have that is of exceptional value. But this is of course a matter of perspective. What one person considers of exceptional value another may consider it otherwise.

Queenie

Well that's where it all goes wrong what you consider is of no value the OR may think different. They should at least give a guideline, for instance anything that was bought new in the last year perhaps. That is shown on bank statements. Or of antique value.

But the only true way would be home visits to asses what you have of value.

I have offered £500 for my car as the agents said that for the age and mileage it would fetch that. But they are still coming to see it to make sure. I presumed that as they said it would fetch £500, if i offered that it would be safe. But no its to be inspected, I presume they don't trust me.

I will be sick as a pig if they come and see it and then say it will fetch more than what they first assumed.

By the way where does the saying (Sick as a Pig) come from ??? [:D]

Mick

PS just had a thought if the car is worth more and they say I can't keep it, perhaps they will except an offer for my camera. I can then get them to smile and let me take a few photo's of them taking the car away and post them here.[:D][8D][:D][8D]

Or is that a bad Idea[;)][;)][:o)]

( Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants.)
Last edited by UPINSMOKE on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants.)

queenie

Post by queenie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:24 pm
Definately offer them less. They need to factor in costs of sale, commission etc. after all. Any chance you could make it look shabby, take the tax disc out maybe, lose the spare tyre?

Queenie
Queenie

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:45 pm
My car needed quite a bit of work doing to it which reduced the value quite a bit and I made sure I mentioned the dents (thanks to the person in Tesco's car park who opened their door so hard it left their paint on my car!). The work that needed doing meant that it was classed as poor condition (it cost over £500 to get it done - I'm still paying my mum back!) and therefore was worth a lot less.

I hope that doesn't sound as though I was trying to do anything dodgy as I wasn't - I just wasn't going to spend a fortune for the OR's benefit!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

UPINSMOKE

Post by UPINSMOKE » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:50 pm
queenie wrote:

Definitely offer them less. They need to factor in costs of sale, commission etc. after all. Any chance you could make it look shabby, take the tax disc out maybe, lose the spare tyre?

Queenie
They have told me that they will not except less. So thats why I offered the £500. I don't want to lose it as I will not get another in this condition for less.

Its a long story but have driven Reliants for over 20 years and each time I have changed the car its always for the later model so I first started with the Reliant Regal ( The Only Fools & Horses one) then it was a Reliant Robin early version, then the Rialto and now the later Reliant Robin version. There is one other which they called the teardrop version but that was the last that was made. Reliant it the longest running UK car firm without any interest from other countries. So you see it would be hard to go back to a cheaper one although not impossible.

Last edited by UPINSMOKE on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrassicLintus

Post by BrassicLintus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:48 pm
Hi Mick, hope your bearing up. I feel it's so silly and unfair of the OR's decision to nab your things. And I think their valuations are a little OTT. I''m also feeling a little guilty as i didn't declare anything other than my car during my BR. I've got quite a collection of DVD's but it didn't even enter my head to declare them as they are probably worth peanuts second hand. It's such a shame about your camera, had a look at your piccies and they're fantastic. Perhaps when you get another you could turn your hobby into a bit of a sideline to earn some extra dosh (although the way you have been treated - I wouldn't tell the OR!!!!!) Good luck with it all though.

Sam

mish1953

Post by mish1953 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:13 pm
Illegitimus non carborundam

Mick - I had the 'pleasure' of driving a Reliant Fox for a while, 4 wheels and it was a pickup ... an absolute hoot on the back roads.

Hat of to you for driving the 3 wheeleers , I was following one on a border road once - I was on a m/bike - waiting for a suitable overtake opportunity , the driver stuffed it into some sharp bends , rolled it ... scared the poo out of me, bits flying everywhere , only a chassis and wheels left ! I was lucky , only got hit by flying fibreglass, the driver and passenger didnt make it... they terrify me now ![:(]

'kin great piccys [:D]

Slainte
Mish

Will an automatic discharge hurt.
Early Discharge is not an illness !

UPINSMOKE

Post by UPINSMOKE » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:20 pm
Mish I had one on three wheels once, scary moment was that.[:D][:D]

They are very easy to drive as long as you remember your not on four wheels and only three. Just have to take it easy on the corners, although the later models do hold the road a lot better than the Del Boy ones ever did.

Mick

Last edited by UPINSMOKE on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spla

Post by spla » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:13 pm
hi do you have to just accept what the or says the car is worth or will know every thing about money but i bet sod all about cars i value cars for insurance purposes if your allowed to get an independent value ille do it for free of charge i cant see from reading hear where they get the 500 figure from i would say in a full and final insurance settlement £250 regardless of condition

spla

Post by spla » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 pm
ps im not trying to crab your car just trying to help

UPINSMOKE

Post by UPINSMOKE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:58 am
It not the OR who has valued it, its his agents who are the ones that will auction it at there salesroom's in West Sussex. The are going by what others have fetched in the past. Reliant tend to hold there value more than most other cars. So as most reliant drivers have only a full bike license and cannot drive any other vehicle and the fact that they don't make them anymore the values are staying constant as there is still a market for them especially the later ones. But the early ones are now creeping up in value too.

Mick

Last edited by UPINSMOKE on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

UPINSMOKE

Post by UPINSMOKE » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 am
You ask me to keep you informed on what went on with the agents of the OR regarding my car.All went well in some respects. I have secured my PC for £100, unfortunately had to let the Golf Club, Video Camera, and SLR Digital Camera go.[V][V][:(][:(][:(][:(]

As for the car they said on the phone that they would expect it to fetch £500 in their Auctions but would have to inspect it further. The Agent arrive 30 mins late because he could not find the house. On inspection he the told me the bad news that he expected it to fetch far more than they originally thought.[V][:(]

I was told that a similar one, not as young as mine sold for £580 in their last auction of cars. And would expect mine to go for at least £650 to £800. What a shock[:0][:0] I then told the agent about my situation with shopping and getting around, and how I got into the situation I am in now. I was surprised to find out what a nice guy he was.

He told me he would see what he could do to help me, I think he could see I was rather stressed out about losing the car. So he said he would ring his boss and have a chat.

Outside he went, and a few minutes later came back with the news that they would except £600 for it.

What I gathered he had told them it had no tax, MOT, and bodywork was not in that good a condition and got the price reduced for me. I am over the moon that I am able to keep it to use[:D][:D][:D]

But saying that I must admit that the £600 is a lot to pay just to keep my own car. And that I still have to get it MOTed Its going to be a mammoth task to raise the funds to do so and pay my friend back as well, but still think Its worth in.

Now for the next stage have to work on my I & E to include the car expenses. I over the weekend I sort it out and list again on here. Can some of you have a look and see if you think it is ok to send to the OR.

My thought for the day is that ( Reliants aren't just for Christmas, they are for life )[:D][:D][:D]

Regards Mick A Happy Chappy [:D][8D][:D][8D][:D]

Last edited by UPINSMOKE on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:55 am
I'm so pleased that you will be able to keep your car Mick! The agent sounds a really nice guy, and people like him restore your faith in human nature.

Redo your I & E and post it on here and someone will be able to cast their eye over it and say what they think. I probably won't be around at the weekend unless b***** Sky get their act together and get our internet sorted out.

I'm sorry you lost your camera and golf clubs, but I'm happy for you that you have been able to keep the car x

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

wen

Post by wen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 pm
I am still gobsmacked at this thread.

I am glad you got a decent "deal" compared to what you could have been charged, but still I am just left speechless.
Please visit my blog http://adam.blogs.iva.co.uk/
103 posts Page 6 of 7
Return to “meeting the OR”