Panicking Badly !

20 posts Page 1 of 2

Jasekent

Post by Jasekent » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:26 pm
I am nearly 2 years into my IVA ( arranged by Barry Knights from Knights and co ) and I received a letter yesterday from Chantrey Vellacott DFK saying that they had taken over my IVA by order of the High Court and goes into a lot of legal things that I don't understand. I can't call Knights and co as it is the weekend. It also says I have not made the last 3 payments ( which I have, i pay by standing order) and have given me a new bank account to pay money into including the last 3 missed payments or I will be in breach of my IVA ! If something has gone wrong at Knights surely I am not liable ! It could be a scam , but if it is it's a good one , it's ruined my weekend. Anyone got any advice on what I can do ??

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:30 pm
Doesn't sound right to me. I am sure one of the experts will be able to clarify this.

You can obviously prove that you have paid the money out of your account. What is this new bank account they have given you? Surely someone else can't set up an account for you?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:33 pm
Sorry, misread about the bank account. I think this is one big scam. They are just trying to get you to pay money across to an account of theirs and probably the first you would know would be when Knights got in touch with you asking where their payments were.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

joh71262

Post by joh71262 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:35 pm
Do Knights have a web site you can look at ? Try Googling stuff and see if there's anything out there.

I would say that if you haven't heard anything from them about selling the IVA, it could well be a scam.

I wouldn't change anything until you have spoken to someone at Knights. If you have proof that you have paid then they cannot default you.
There's light at the end of the tunnel - it's just that sometimes the tunnel seems so long.

IVA Complete June 2009

Jasekent

Post by Jasekent » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:41 pm
yes , they have a website http://www.knightsandco.co.uk

but it is pretty basic. I will call them asap tommorow , hope to god it is a scam as otherwise I think it could get messy ! Thanx all for taking time to reply.

Jase

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:41 pm
I've just checked the web, and Knights and Co seem to be ok. Chantrey Vellacott appears to be a kosher firm as well, and they do do IVA's. It could well be that someone has decided to see if they can get money out of anyone. If Knights had sold on, I would have thought that they would have told you about this.
Bob Marley.

joh71262

Post by joh71262 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:44 pm
If it does turn out to be a scam, there's a section on the Chantrey Vellacot website

http://www.cvdfk.com/news/article.asp?view=1246

about cybercrime. Would be ironic if it was.
There's light at the end of the tunnel - it's just that sometimes the tunnel seems so long.

IVA Complete June 2009

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:48 pm
I don't think it is a scam - I think that Mr Knight has sold his IVA portfolio to Chantrey Vellacot. There is a lot of this going on at the moment, as some of the smaller operators are being squeezed out of the marketplace due to fee reductions, or simply do not want to carry on in a marketplace which is becoming increasingly difficult to provide quality service at unrealistic pricing.

Clearly though, there is an issue if you are being told that payments you have made have not been recorded. I suggest that you ask for a copy of the Court Order as evidence of the transfer, and then provide bank statements to your new Supervisor as evidence of your payments.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

joh71262

Post by joh71262 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:51 pm
Mel - would Knights not have been legally obliged to contact Jase informing him of this ???

IVA Complete June 2009

Jasekent

Post by Jasekent » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:05 pm
Melanie , the letter I received from Chantrey Vellacot was the first thing I have heard of it. Looking at all the paperwork ( I am no legal eagle ) is enclosed Barry Peter Knights case transfer list ( lots of names ) and what looks like a very official sheet from the High Court of Justice dated the 26th February 2008 , could Barry Knights gone insolvent himself???

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:11 pm
No - I have just acquired a portfolio of IVA cases from an insolvency practitioner who has decided to retire. Transfers of appointments happen all the time for various reasons. What reason does it state on the Court Orfder?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Jasekent

Post by Jasekent » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:19 pm
From what I can gather it says ' in the matter of the insolvency act 1986 between BARRY PETER KNIGHTS ( applicant ) and a list of names including Her Majesty's revenue & customs ' as respondents. It does look like he has applied or another company name mentioned UKW limited ( indentical address to Knights and co have applied to become insolvent??

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 pm
It does seem as though it could all be in order (I am so suspicious of everyone these days!). You will have to try and get in touch with Knights tomorrow, and I would certainly speak to Chantry Vellacott.

I do think this is bad if they have sold it on and not informed you.
Bob Marley.

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:41 pm
Hi Jase
You said you paid your IVA by standing order. Should not your bank statements be proof of payments made?? Mebbe Mel can answer this one.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

Jasekent

Post by Jasekent » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:46 pm
yes , I have dug out my bank statements , the proof is there in black and white. I will post tommorow when I unravel this mystery !
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for april”