Panorama

24 posts Page 2 of 2

freelili

Post by freelili » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:22 pm
I thought that Karen, I thought that the government were opposed to aggressive lenders kicking families out of their own homes. What a terrible position for someone to be in? I hope there is noone out there, scared whitless reading this. I honestly dont know what I would do if I thought the roof was going from my head. Isnt being faced with debt a dark enough place?
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:27 pm
Following on from the Panorama programme yesterday evening I feel the need to decry the one sided nature of the debate. Whilst it is true that many indebted consumers have recklessly taken on more and more credit until they are unable to meet even the interest charges, I feel that the use of the examples broadcasted effectively exonerated the banks and their own irresponsible lending policies and their general attitude to consumer credit.

As can be seen in the recent institutional debt crisis, where there is now an effective shutdown on interbank lending due to a total failure of risk management, bankers are not supermen. I would argue that a significant proportion of the distressed consumer debt that has the potential to cripple the UK economy, is actually as much a result of overly aggressive selling, and a total lack of risk management by the major lenders and credit card providers.

I would not deny that there are many consumers out there who have been irresponsible with their finances, however it would be entirely wrong to blame the current debt crisis purely on the debtors themselves.

Changing the commodity to something more sinister who do you blame more - the addict, or the dealer?
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

fuzzy_dunlop

Post by fuzzy_dunlop » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:13 pm
After watching the program I'm sure that many people in debt are more worried than ever about what could happen to them . It brought back the helpless feeling I had before finding this and other sites.Its a shame that the BBC didnt make good use of its airtime and actually helped people in debt . Not even a phone line to call at the end of the show for people in debt . what a wasted opportunity.[:(]

They showed how much they cared by the silly way they make it out to be a tug of war contest and at the same time the narrator states, "The interest and charges pile up, turning people into can't pays." Not once do they mention that the charges they pile on are unlawful.
£6k for a 1.5k 3 peice suite? Who is really going to hand over that.

i know we should pay all we can afford back to our creditors but some dont deserve a single penny [:(!]

fuzzy_dunlop

Post by fuzzy_dunlop » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 pm
i found a link to the bbc /panorama website where people leave comments after the programme hardly any sympathy for people who are struggling with debt .
goes to show most folk really have no idea
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/p ... 722494.stm

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 pm
All I can say is, I hope all the 'holier than thou' people who put their comments on there, never find themselves in the same position as most of us on here.

All of those comments just served to remind me of the reason why I have told no one about my IVA.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

freelili

Post by freelili » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:01 pm
Thats the problem with these types of programmes, I am only guessing as I didnt watch it but they look for extreme cases and only highlight one side of the coin, then everyone gets coloured the same colour.

I was phoned up by my bank five times, they asked me to take the loan, yes, four times I said no, the fifth time I said OK then. I was also abused in the street by one creditor.

I dont know how I got through this to be honest, I have never felt so ashamed, alone and guilty in my life. Its not that we debtors want to blame the banks and lenders, we just didnt know that our limits. I actually thought the bank would know this for me, wouldnt have approved if it was beyond me. I signed but I didnt think it was ever going to lead to being a debtor.

These types of things bring back as you say, FD, so many feelings of being a failure. A failure dosent get up and do something about it.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:09 pm
Quite right Lily. The failure is the one who doesn't pay back the debts, or even make any attempt to.

We're all winners on here, because we have addressed our problems and are paying back as much as we can afford. We should be commended not vilified.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 am
I realise that it is late, and that most of you will be in bed, but for those of you still up and around, I have just noticed that the programme is being repeated at 00 30 am, i.e 16 minutes from now. If you haven't seen it and want to (like me!!) you can record it and have a look at your leisure.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

johnnybriggs

Post by johnnybriggs » Tue May 26, 2009 4:33 pm
Always interesting to read old posts like this. Some of you have crystal balls.
JB
24 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Latest IVA News”