Passed around like a hot stone..help please.

101 posts Page 5 of 7

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 pm
Like Michael's firm, I am also continuing to close cases as that is the advice of the VAT experts that I have consulted. Can I just say in defence of the IP at RSM Tenon, that she is a very good IP who I know personally.

I was recently at a VAT meeting with her, and we were discussing this point. She tells me that their own firm's compliance department has advised her not to close cases at present, and she is obliged to follow that advice. I think that you need to get some form of letter from her to confirm that in the event that you were to receive a windfall this would be outside the scope of the IVA.

This VAT decision is not easy for any of us - in fact it is absolutely tiresome to deal with at a time when we are all extremely busy - but we don't make the rules and have to comply as best we see fit.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 pm
MelanieGiles wrote:

Like Michael's firm, I am also continuing to close cases as that is the advice of the VAT experts that I have consulted. Can I just say in defence of the IP at RSM Tenon, that she is a very good IP who I know personally.

I was recently at a VAT meeting with her, and we were discussing this point. She tells me that their own firm's compliance department has advised her not to close cases at present, and she is obliged to follow that advice. I think that you need to get some form of letter from her to confirm that in the event that you were to receive a windfall this would be outside the scope of the IVA.

This VAT decision is not easy for any of us - in fact it is absolutely tiresome to deal with at a time when we are all extremely busy - but we don't make the rules and have to comply as best we see fit.
I am with Tenon ( Gillian) and can't fault their service at all, save for one thing ... that old bugbear, contactability. However, that and I guess their "compliance" issues are one of the prices for swimming in a big pond !

However I do feel that they should have some plan in force to mitigate the effects on their clients, many of whom have their nerves strung out to breaking point! Some device to essentially end the debtors obligations which would have otherwise been fulfilled had it not been for this ruling, not of their making.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 pm
I'm not knocking the IP at Tenon, just the customer service which does seem to be lacking at the moment.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Rob1171

Post by Rob1171 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:06 pm
I'm not knocking my IP either. But think I would have been nice to be informed of the VAT issue when I received this years review report.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:28 pm
kallis3 wrote:

I'm not knocking the IP at Tenon, just the customer service which does seem to be lacking at the moment.
Totally agree with you there Jan. It's a pity, because it's an important flaw in an otherwise good company. I have never had any contact whatsoever with my IP, despite trying, and my last ltter took a month to elicit a bland reply which didn't address the original query. To be honest I am a little concerned at the level of service I might "enjoy" should I run into a serious problem!

Maybe they could follow GT's lead and join the forum.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

flow13

Post by flow13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:21 am
When I spoke to DFD the other day there was no mention of anything like this going on at all. The lady just explained the process to me of waiting for all creditors claims to come in and then sending out the completion certificate and report etc.
Its now time to start living and to make some some wonderful memories!
Read my blog at http://flow13.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Aiming for the finish line'

jessicarabbitgirl

Post by jessicarabbitgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 am
had a call last night but missed it, about to phone them back now, wish me luck. Going to quote as much advice on here as possible, I just want this over.
I am debt free. I am debt free. I am debt free :-)

jessicarabbitgirl

Post by jessicarabbitgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 am
Just spoke to them, they were actually very helpful and are interested that other companies are still closes cases.

As Melanie mentioned it has been dictated by their compliance department who have had legal advice not to close cases. Due to Tenon being part of a large company they have to go with this for now.

Their compliance department has been seeking further legal advice on what to do and they are hoping for the answer today.

Sounds like the IPs are just as frustrated by this as we are. I was surprised at how understanding they were. Tenon are aware of this thread and are hoping to add to this thread at some point soon, apparently got something like 500 cases like ours on hold from completion at the moment.

They said hopefully they should get more feedback from their compliance department and will call me back...

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 am
At least you have a reply. Hopefully they can get something sorted so you can get a definitive answer.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

jessicarabbitgirl

Post by jessicarabbitgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 am
Lets hope so, I wouldnt want to win the lottery this weekend though x

g60

Post by g60 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:40 am
I did not get a phone call back i am not going to ring them to see if i have any joy. The main point as said is i am at 72 months in 2 month and am worried that they could defualt on the hole IVA. They siad they would not let this happen but if they go over the agreed timescale with the lenders they are not in a position to say this as it it the lenders that would force the issuse i believe. Anyway i am going to ring and find out. To add i have had no problems with tenon but the lack of care to me ringing me back kno0wing the situation and offering advice have been poor at times...the IP has been fine although never spoken to her,

g60

Post by g60 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 am
Well had a nice 30 min chat, did not get much joy with the first person i chatted to so she passed me onto another. I explained to her that i am at the 6 year point now and wanted this sorted. She said to me they had extended my time by 2 years for admin problems, which i said i think not, i have not agreed to this and it does not state it anywhere that this can be done etc.

Basically she has asked to ring me back Tue next week as partners are in with compliance this week start of next week to try and resolve this problem. What i tried to explain is at the 5 year point it is completed and that would give you a year to get all sorted and pay creditors what they are owed, and then at the 6 year point allow me to drop of the system, I could then go on my credit history and start to contact any defaults after the date to clear with the completion paperwork. This is now not going to happen because they have not closed it down.

I am unhappy, this is sad, and i had to chase it up to find this all out. I did point out that as far as i am concerned i have completed my obligation, you need to do yours, if it means closing it down with the vat held then after they have agreed on what every they can redistribute it then, i still have the closed IVA..

jessicarabbitgirl

Post by jessicarabbitgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:35 am
hmmmm, I spoke to an IP, not mine but another one...

I will inbox you

g60

Post by g60 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:40 am
MelanieGiles wrote:

Melanie I am sure she is a nice person and this is not an issue really, as said her hands are tied as such. However, I should have been informed about all of this and was not. I planned my life around this being completed and sorted by Oct this year, which would be the six year point. I soon need to buy a house and move on with my life. Every month the wait to decide on what to do has a huge impact on me and my family. At best this adds another 6 months or so onto my end date which I thought was going to be Oct. Until they complete this is will still show, thus not allowing me to do a sausage…..
Does the IVA drop off after 6 years if still current? Because it still is, I cannot repair any of my credit history without the certificate of completing on any defaults that have been put on my history. It’s fine them giving me a letter to say it is complete, but what’s that worth nothing I expect because the creditors have not been paid and as far as they are concerned I own them money still, until the IP have paid them all, etc……
Just so frustrating I got myself into the situation I know but have bent over to fulfil my obligation which is now putting my life on hold again for another amount of time which I was hoping to break free from in October..
Well I will wait and see what happens next week, still chin up keep smiling to all…xx

jessicarabbitgirl

Post by jessicarabbitgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 am
sorry just realised, dont think I can inbox you, didnt realise no private chat on here????
101 posts Page 5 of 7
Return to “a success story”