pay off my IVA early

8 posts Page 1 of 1

c.e.e.w

Post by c.e.e.w » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:27 pm
I already have an IVA. I have no assets (car, house etc) but I would like to get a mortage and buy a property with my partner. Would I be eligable to take out a larger mortgage than the price of the property and pay off my IVA early with the extra money?

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:23 pm
If you are currently in an IVA it is unlikely that you would be able to find a lender whom is willing to give you a mortgage of more than 100% of a property's value. In any case I would question the wisdom of doing so as you would immediately be thrown into a negative equity situation.

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

accgroup

Post by accgroup » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:24 pm
Hello

It really depends on the specific circumstances of your case and whether you would be able to obtain sufficient funds to both purchase a property and pay off your IVA in full and final settlement.

You should speak to your IP ASAP and go through the options with them.

Hope this helps

AccumaGroup - A large insolvency practitioner service based in Manchester.
www.accumagroup.com

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:39 pm
You will not be able to find the type of mortgage you have suggested whilst you are in an IVA, and I completely agree with Oliver's comments.

I personally would not even trouble your IP with that suggestion.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

ivamole

Post by ivamole » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:19 am
It was my understanding that IVAs normally run for a minimum fixed term OR until the agreed dividend had been paid. The agreed dividend is also the minimum you should repay to creditors. Some IVAs run on for far longer than five years.

If, for example, your creditors accept a 25p dividend at the start of the IVA with a 5 year term and your circumstances improve during this five year period then creditors would be entitled to receive more than 25p.

If you did exceptionally well, creditors would be entitled to 100% of the money you owe them plus accrued interest.

You therefore cannot usually 'pay off an IVA' early because there is no fixed sum to be paid. You have agreed a minimum repayment and how much you actually pay will depend on your finances over the full term of the IVA.

I don't think this was made clear in the earlier answers so hope it helps to explain why the offer of a lump sum (particularly if you had to borrow it) is not a good idea.

neverending

Post by neverending » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:18 pm
Quote"You therefore cannot usually 'pay off an IVA' early because there is no fixed sum to be paid. You have agreed a minimum repayment and how much you actually pay will depend on your finances over the full term of the IVA."

If a family friend offers to pay a lump sum into your IVA and this ,and the savings on IP fees, mean the same or slightly higher dividend is realised then a lump sum is a good idea.
Also, as in my case,offering a full and final settlement figure, via a remortgage, from equity following a house purchase post IVA will result in a slightly higher dividend being offered to the creditors compared to me running the IVA to its term.[they have no control over my equity as it was not part of the original IVA agreement]

Sorry can,t agree with you on this one
regards
Andy Davie

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:13 am
Neverending is quite correct

As with all "contracts" - you can always change the terms at any stage of the proceedings with the agreement of all parties.

That is the beauty of a "contract", there being no statutory influence required to influence the decisions of the contracting parties at all.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

ivamole

Post by ivamole » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:44 am
My point here was really about the legal status of an IVA. It is the original modified Proposal agreed by the creditors' meeting that is given 'statutory binding' i.e. that all parties are bound to the arrangement by statute and not by contract. The point of the 'statutory binding' is that - unlike a contract - it also binds dissenting parties.

No one - not even the courts - can vary the terms of the original statutory arrangement. If, however, there is (preferably) a variation clause in the terms of the IVA then it is possible - with the agreement of the appropriate majorities - to vary the original terms as a 'separate contract' between the parties.

I know this sounds like double talk and it is an apparently bizarre legal contradiction but it relates to the different legal status given to an IVA because any agreed variations (e.g. lump sum early settlement) do not have the 'statutory binding' of the IVA agreed by the creditors meeting.

This is because the agreed variation terms become a consensual multilateral contract and, as with any normal contract, dissenting creditors are not bound by the variation. Strangely, dissenting creditors (and all parties) are still bound by the original statutory binding of the IVA.

If any individual creditor - or any other party - could show that they were losing out under the term of the new variation they could, if they wished, seek to enforce the original statutory terms by application to the courts under s.263 of the Insolvency Act. (Raja v Rubin)

It might also help to explain this by pointing out that,in conducting the terms of the new contract or variation, any party could (in theory)sue for breach of contract. As with all 'normal' contracts, this could raise the question of liability for damages.

The question of damages would not normally arise in relation to the conduct of the original IVA terms because it is not a contract. The courts would simply order any wrongs in the conduct of an IVA to be put right as a matter of equity.

In practice, this is of course all generally academic and will not effect the conclusion of most arrangements because creditors - and the debtor - will tend to go along with the new contract if a significant majority by value have supported the variation.

The interesting point, however, is that IPs are given a monopoly right to supervise statutory IVAs but, if the parties agree to a consensual variations outside the terms of the IVA, the continuation and supervision of the new contract is no more reliant upon an IP than any other contract.

In theory, there is therefore no reason why the parties - in accepting the variation - should not also agree to end the IVA (thereby saving on IP fees)and make their own arrangements for full and final settlement of the debt.

I also wonder - given some of the alarming stories about the conduct of creditors meetings and the drift away from the statutory timetables for IVAa - how many IVAs would (if tested in court) prove to be invalid as statutory arrangements. I suspect that many arrangements have actually simply drifted along to conclusion as multilateral contracts (rather than statutory IVAs) because no one wanted to rock the boat.

If this so, it would of course have quite a significant effect on the legal status of the arrangements in question, the validity of the fees charged and the status of funds held by IPs. It could, of course, also expose IPs to civil legal action from debtors and creditors alike.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for february”