Payment Break

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

dinosaur17

Post by dinosaur17 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 pm
Last month I found it necessary to take a payment break to cover a bank cock up which left me having to make a massive payout to cover my mortgage. As this has left me needing to use this month's pay to make up payments to other parties so I will not be behind with those.

Is it possible to take 2 payment breaks in a row?

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:00 pm
Hi Dinosaur! Only your IP can really say for your case; but it is possible to take two months depending on the terms of your agreement.

Mine says three months is a breech. So I can take a break of up to 2.9 months without jeopardising my iva.

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 pm
We are allowed three before it causes any problems but it does depend on your individual agreement.

dinosaur17

Post by dinosaur17 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 pm
Ok Thanks :)
If I did request another break would I then not be able to have another break for the remaining period of the IVA?

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm
Possibly - it depends on how many months you can miss before being in breech. You could dig out your paperwork and see what it says.

Also, if you can repay a little of the payment break each month to catch up, then you would be able to take further breaks.

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 pm
If you can make up your other payment breaks then there is no reason why you cannot request another one if you need to.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm
Good advice from all above. You could also make a reduced payment which would not technically put you two months into arrears so speak to your IP who no doubt will help.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:34 pm
You need to check your own proposal dinosaur as yours may differ from others which would allow you to take more consecutive months.

discuss it with your IP and see what options you have - hopefully they are fleixible and work with you on this.

Let us know what the outcome is and lets hope the bank don't mess up again!
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”