Petition to stop access to insolvency register

58 posts Page 3 of 4

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:20 am
johnz wrote:

Question. Isn't publicly displaying all of that info against the Data Protection Act?

Johnz
Yes it is, however, there is no-one to regulate this insolvency business. Any complaints are dealt with by the IP's Customer Care or "Don't care" Dept. They are not responsible to anyone other than the Creditors and very few of them are as scrupulous as our Melanie et al.

The DPA seems it can be broken at will by data sharing companies etc without recourse. It really Pi***s me off when we are not even recognised as having the same rights as other citizens by having our details splashed across the net. Our rights are put on hold because we are treated as 2nd class people. Legally, Paedophiles get a better deal than us, they might burn in hell for eternity but their identities are kept secret.

Alternatively, perhaps there should be a list of all IP's, Judges, Police Officers, Civil Servants etc with their names and addresses on it taht would be freely available to the public. Mmmm! Somehow, I don't think that would ever happen.

Perhaps the next petition could be to estabish a regulatory authority for IP's so they have to protect us as well as their own interests.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:54 pm
I also practice in Northern Ireland, and it is interesting to note that neither the Insolvency Registers in Northern Ireland or Scotland are available on line. In both countries you have to apply with details of why you need the information, and pay a fee for daily access.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:59 pm
And to Angelus - Insolvency Practitioners already have a very tight system of regulation - come to my office for a day and see the amount of checklists and red tape that we have to abide by - none of which adds much value to the case, but is a necessary part of our case administration. This is ever increasing, at a time when we are under pressure to charge less!

With respect, it is not individual IPs who need tighter regulation, but perhaps some of the firms who employ them and the companies who are allowed to set themselves up as debt advisors or experts with absolutely no regulation whatsoever!

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:25 pm
Hi Mel
That's a good point about the register not being available in NI and Scotland
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

Maz

Post by Maz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:49 pm
I have just signed also. and i have completed the on-line survey. Well done Andy for this.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:36 pm
Consider me and the mrs signed up. I agree with Melanie its perhaps the individuals but the company ethics that need regulating. How any people have followed orders and caused misery in the past 100 yrs.

The ambulance chasers must be weeded out.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:19 pm
Andy....I have signed your petition but i have also sent them some feedback about the website directly. Wouldnt it be a good idea if we all sent them a feedback response through their own system? I am gobsmakced to see how many other people in my city with the same name are in trouble....must run in the family!

Im not a number I'm a freeman!

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:20 pm
PS I told them the register was a 21st Century version of the stocks....very Orwellian!

Rainbow

Post by Rainbow » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:56 pm
Have just counted the petition 171 names already!! Come on everybody that hasn't posted!!!
Rainbow

Every Cloud has a silver lining. At the end of the Rainbow is a Pot of Gold - Or Hope!
Every Cloud has a silver lining. At the end of the Rainbow is a Pot of Gold - Or Hope!

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:38 pm
Just signed it, i was s ent a bogus offical looking letter with apritn out of my details attached from the register.

johnz

Post by johnz » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:32 pm
Sorry to repeat myself, but I really don't see how this register can be available to anyone who googles it and not be breaking the Data Protection Act. Legally, nobody is allowed to give names and address' out without that persons written approval. Sorry guys, but I've spent a lot of time working around the DPA and this just seems to go directly against it. If anyone has been contacted by a company who has got your name, address and any other personal details from this register, and you haven't given written permission for these details to be given to the person requesting, it would seem that you are legally within your rights to demand compensation from the body that advertised your personal details on the internet.

Now! I can understand credit reference agencies needing this information, and other legal bodies. However, allowing this personal information to be available for any one to see just by googling is, in my opinion illegal.

This is what the Data Protection Act 1998 says about it.

Where a data controller cannot comply with the request without disclosing information relating to another individual who can be identified from that information, he is not obliged to comply with the request unless—
(a) the other individual has consented to the disclosure of the information to the person making the request, or
(b) it is reasonable in all the circumstances to comply with the request without the consent of the other individual.

There is also this:-

Right to prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress (1) Subject to subsection (2), an individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing, or processing for a specified purpose or in a specified manner, any personal data in respect of which he is the data subject, on the ground that, for specified reasons—
(a) the processing of those data or their processing for that purpose or in that manner is causing or is likely to cause substantial damage or substantial distress to him or to another, and
(b) that damage or distress is or would be unwarranted.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply—
(a) in a case where any of the conditions in paragraphs 1 to 4 of Schedule 2 is met, or
(b) in such other cases as may be prescribed by the Secretary of State by order.
(3) The data controller must within twenty-one days of receiving a notice under subsection (1) (“the data subject notice”) give the individual who gave it a written notice—
(a) stating that he has complied or intends to comply with the data subject notice, or
(b) stating his reasons for regarding the data subject notice as to any extent unjustified and the extent (if any) to which he has complied or intends to comply with it.
(4) If a court is satisfied, on the application of any person who has given a notice under subsection (1) which appears to the court to be justified (or to be justified to any extent), that the data controller in question has failed to comply with the notice, the court may order him to take such steps for complying with the notice (or for complying with it to that extent) as the court thinks fit.
(5) The failure by a data subject to exercise the right conferred by subsection (1) or section 11(1) does not affect any other right conferred on him by this Part.
11 Right to prevent processing for purposes of direct marketing (1) An individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing for the purposes of direct marketing personal data in respect of which he is the data subject.
(2) If the court is satisfied, on the application of any person who has given a notice under subsection (1), that the data controller has failed to comply with the notice, the court may order him to take such steps for complying with the notice as the court thinks fit.
(3) In this section “direct marketing” means the communication (by whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to particular individuals.

And this:-

Compensation for failure to comply with certain requirements (1) An individual who suffers damage by reason of any contravention by a data controller of any of the requirements of this Act is entitled to compensation from the data controller for that damage.
(2) An individual who suffers distress by reason of any contravention by a data controller of any of the requirements of this Act is entitled to compensation from the data controller for that distress if—
(a) the individual also suffers damage by reason of the contravention, or
(b) the contravention relates to the processing of personal data for the special purposes.
(3) In proceedings brought against a person by virtue of this section it is a defence to prove that he had taken such care as in all the circumstances was reasonably required to comply with the requirement concerned.

Johnz
Johnz

catullus

Post by catullus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:28 pm
Are you taking in to account that it is a statutory requirement to maintain a register?

Sadsack

Post by Sadsack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:47 pm
The dispute is not the register, its the fact that its open to anyone to view and send unsolicited mail.

Sue

Ho Hum! Think I'll bang my drum!

Read My Blog
http://sadsack.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Read My Blog

johnz

Post by johnz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:51 pm
I can understand the need to maintain a register, but it should not accessable to companies who will then take advantage of other people by sending them letters trying to get business out of them. Access to the register should be restricted to those who need to know, creditors, etc. And even then, they should only be able to get access after getting signed permission in writing from the person who's details they are trying to attain. Even then, when people try to get credit they already have to give permission for the credit reference agencies to be searched. As the IVA will already show on the credit reference, why do they need access to more personal data. There is absolutely no reason why this information should be available to anyone other than experian or equifax. Allowing any tom, dick or harry to get your name and address and allow them to know you are in financial difficulty is just wrong. Plain and simple. Sorry. I feel very strongly about this. I get the same way when cold callers phone my exdirectory number. They have no right to be phoning me. Just as these people have no right to be sending people false information just so they can try to con even more money out of them. And if this register adhered to the Data Protection Act, they wouldn't be able to do that.

I'll get off my high horse now. [:D]

Johnz
Johnz

Sadsack

Post by Sadsack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:32 pm
You go!!!! fight that corner! I'm standing right beside you!

Sue

Read My Blog

Read My Blog
58 posts Page 3 of 4
Return to “Abuse of the Insolvency Register”