Petrol Prices Grrrrrrr

28 posts Page 2 of 2

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:36 pm
Hey Suzz, great reasearch,.... why hasn't this had mega media coverage, I'm guessing there might be quite a bit of support again...

Martin

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 pm
I think it hasn't had a lot of coverage because it would start panic buying like the previous small protest did a few years ago, (not the major one in 2000).

Their motives are honourable and I agree with what they are trying to achieve, but I feel that it will not make any difference. The government has got used to the money raised by fuel duty and the VAT on it, (a tax on tax!), so if they reduce it, they would have to put it on something else. I’m not supporting the government, just stating my thoughts.

Helper and Seeker

Post by Helper and Seeker » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:16 pm
I drive a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Auto.

Had an accident back in May not my fault finally got the claim authorised so had the work done - so got a courtesy car a brand new Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 auto

Expected loads more to the gallon but in truth actually got 2 miles per gallon less than my Astra - totally shock horro9

Mums got a 1.2 Nissan Micra and we did a fuel usage test with that and that was not much different 31 to the gallon I get 30 to the gallon the corsa got 28/29 to the gallon at a real push and my Dads 2.0 litre carlton estate does 28 on a bad run and 33 on a good run.

So all that put stop to my thinking of down sizing to a smaller car.

And as for public transport - my goodness how do people afford to use it it is no better than owning a car, infact worse.

I kinda gave up with it all at the end of the day no car no job and no work.

And I would rather eat beans on toast each day then give up my car.

Petrol in Bournemouth was £101.9 when I filled up yesterday.

Just started my IVA as from 12.10.07
Just started my IVA as from 12.10.07

What ever deceision and choices we have ever made, are the ONLY and BEST decisions and choices we can make at THAT time with all the info we have to hand at THAT PRECISE moment in time - so no regrets!!

mish1953

Post by mish1953 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:41 am
Tax - and petrol

When the petrol prices go up , its like a bonus for the Govt, they get extra money that they hadn't budgeted for, so it should be possible for them to reduce the level of tax and not actually lose any money - they would also get more votes for reducing tax... but they are far busy spending our tax on other things ..

[:(!]

Will an automatic discharge hurt.
Early Discharge is not an illness !

lily

Post by lily » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:56 pm
Well they go on about the cost to the environment and go round in jags and private jets, they didnt put that much on booze either, cos they drink it, we are probably paying for their journeys with our smokes. They put sooo much pressure on families and then wonder why marriages dont last and kids go awol in the park on alcho pop.

If you wreak havoc, you are more understood and get some help, if you try all by yourself to bring your kids up with values and a polite and hard working attitude you get shat on. You cant afford to drive, smoke, live cos youre poluting the planet with everything you do or eat. You would have a much better day if you didnt watch the news. It doesnt stop all that crap falling through the letter box, and I am not talking debt letters here, I have had a whole forrest this week with chritmas offers, store mags, etc, etc.

One report the other day on the radio I was listening to said that the creamatoriums werent making enough money cos not enough people were dying, well excuse me for not keeling over, eh??? And how much money have we all put in these cancer cure boxes??? and we cant have the drugs we helped to make cos they are too expensive???? We are doing it all for them to live a jag, cancer free life, thats what its all about, and just what made the dinosors die out?? Global warming??? Did they drive round in cars, I doubt it.

Well one more thing just in case youre not quite reaching out to slash your wrists, the country will come to a standstill again, the petrol will run out, the way it did in 2000. They are planning it right now, I saw it this morning.

Happy days everyone.

lily
lily

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:20 am
Would be a great IVA month if it did run out for a while, a m onth without petrol costs might save enough money for anopther week in the tent in summer 2008!!!

Could be a tad tricky getting the kids to school though....and getting to work etc etc.... Interesting to see how it pans out.... suspect the govt will have a plan after the last time.... can't have those ministerial jags running dry can we..... (I know they don't have them now),,,

Time for sleep methinks and perchance to dream of winning the lottery!!! Go for it lorry drivers, you have my support..

M

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:44 am
i know public transport outside London is lousy so my heart goes otu to those who are dependent on cars. The reason why public transport is better in London is becasue the operators have to meet targets and regualtions or lose their franchise, that doesn't happen outside London, net result lousy public transport.

The lorry drivers won't change a thing, this is jsut hte begining , oil is getting harder to find and more expensive to get out, get used to it, it is likley that you will see the £2.00 litre in the very near future we are passed the peak priduction point 5 years ago, they are pumping water dwon into the oil fields in Saudi to maintian the pressure to get the oil out more than ever before.

Oil will still be around its jsut we will be paying a more realistic price for it than before.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:50 pm
I know what you are saying Lily - I'm fed up with seeing politicians jetting off for 'climate talks'. I mean, why did they choose Bali - nothing to do with it being a beautiful place for a jolly is it? Why can't they use video conferencing?

I do the Race for Life for Cancer Research UK each year, and I'm fed up with reading that people are being refused life saving treatment on the grounds of cost. I don't think that we can really blame Cancer Research though - it's down to local health authorities wasting money on statues for outside the hospital and too many managers.

Regarding transport, I am going to get my fat backside on my bike when the light nights are here. I thought about cycling now, but Dave's not happy as I'd either have to cycle along the river road (very nice in the summer but a bit lonely now) or along a winding road where the cars never stick to the speed limit and it's very dark. That's why it's going to take a lot of persuading for me to ditch my car!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Last edited by Skippy on Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:46 pm
Skippy

Please take Dave's advice on leaving the bike at home. It all sounds far too dangerous, and your personal safety is far more important than saving a few pennies on your bus fare.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:59 pm
Totali agree with Melanie Skippy, your cycle route sounds far less than safe...and to everyone here, let alone your nearesrt and dearest, you're worth your weight in gold for all your support and advice!!!.....and as for hospital managers, we're not all bad, honest..... I personally haven't bought a statue for years!!!

Martin

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:56 pm
Aaah thanks guys! I will do it in the summer as I can cycle along the towpath and it's a nice ride, but it's not very appealing this time of year - especially with the gale force winds we've got here at the moment!

Martin, I hope I didn't offend you with my comments about hospital managers!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:14 pm
Hey Skippy, not at all..... I spent 18 years as a practitioner before being 'moved' into management and most of those years were spent bemoaning the managers, so I fully understand the sentiment....Like many of my colleagues, I guess I like to try and be different, and hope that my decisions are always based on putting people that use services first..... having been a patient myself and having children, would find it impossible to look at it any other way....

Of interest, since joining the forum I've found your posts invaluable, informative and positive, so I'm genuinely grateful to you ....so as far as I'm concerned, you can say anything you like and you'd still get my vote!!!

Martin

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:23 pm
Thanks Martin! I really enjoy posting on the forum and I really missed it when we didn't have the internet at home.

28 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “friends corner: chat in 2007”