Petrol prices

53 posts Page 4 of 4

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:12 pm
Optimist, I knew you'd pick up on this one!

I live in Surrey, so I presume you would think I would have good public transport links here? After reading the thread I planned my bus timetable to help me get to work - bear in mind my hours are 8.30am - 5pm.

It would take me 2 buses and nearly 50 minutes to get to work, and I could get there either half an hour early, or 10 minutes late, neither of which are an option - I'm not a key holder so I wouldn't be able to get in if I was first there. Unlikely, but it could happen.

To get home, the first bus I could comfortably catch is 5.51pm - and would get me home (again 2 buses) at 6.40 pm.

Please also take into account that I have to take a company laptop to and from work as well as my bags.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to point out that public transport isn't as perfect as you seem to think.

At the end of the day, if creditors are happy to accept expenditure for a car then who is really going to turn round and say no, I'll use public transport when a car is so much more convenient?
Last edited by Skippy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olympic_torch

Post by olympic_torch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 pm
To use the analogy quoted above regarding maximising returns to creditors in an iva, i dont "need" a dog, should i have him shot and put the money saved into my iva. I dont "need" a telly, should i sell it and put the tv licence money into the iva? Do i really "need" mrs torch, maybe i should have her evicted and use the money i save to pay my iva off?............now there's a thought.
Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
IVA accepted May 2007.
Extended by 12 months in lieu of equity March 2012.
F+F offer accepted May 2012.
C of C received August 2012.
IVA dropped off credit file 24th May 2013.

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:24 pm
OT[:D]
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm
Come Come Olympic Torch - if you "got rid" of your dog - or your telly - or Mrs. Torch - you would be left with a big hole in your life that could not realistically be fillrd by any alternative. In many cases our car drivers CAN easily get rid of their cars - and switch to public transport but - for whatever reason - they are are unwilling / unable to accept that fact!!! So be it if their IPs approve - but as I go for the perfectly reasonable public transport alternative - it does make me wonder!!!
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:40 pm
Skippy -

Honestly I do appreciate that everyones circumstances are different. I appreciate that if you have REAL and GENUINE reasons why Public Transport is not an option then I would not argue with that. BUT I do very much get the impression that a number of posters simply "like" their cars and are totally unaware of the cheaper - and frequently just as convenient - alternative that public transport can provide. And - even if they are aware - they seem unwilling to travel with such smelly, mad, and horrible people like me!! Have these people EVER actually used public transport??? I have used it for the last 34 years - each year I do get several instances where I encounter unpleasant incidents. C'est la vie. In the same period - whilst emerging to the street from the "madness" of the London Underground- I have frequently seen seemingly mad individuals - in charge of their "cars" - in lunatic arguments with other road users. Hmm... and us Public Transport users are the horrible ones..????!!!??
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

olympic_torch

Post by olympic_torch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
I would agree, as an ex police officer, there are more unhinged people driving cars than buses, and, personally speaking, as long as any future government hasnt scrapped it, when i am 60, i would be more than happy to swap my car for a bus pass, but until then, governments, final salary pension and mortality allowing, i will have to stick to my car.
Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
IVA accepted May 2007.
Extended by 12 months in lieu of equity March 2012.
F+F offer accepted May 2012.
C of C received August 2012.
IVA dropped off credit file 24th May 2013.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:58 pm
Hi

???

Optimist12 we need to have a chat offline.

Regards
Andam Davies

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 pm
Hi
A message from Optimist, who I wish well

"I respect your guidance and agree that it is best that I do not return to the forum. To be honest I am passionate about IVAs- particularly mine!! - and I agree that my opinionated views are probably not really suitable. I never intend to offend - and offer my sincere apologies to anyone that I have upset.

May I wish you - and the Forum - the very best wishes for the future"

Regards
Andam Davies
53 posts Page 4 of 4
Return to “talking about ...”