Phone Calls

21 posts Page 1 of 2

baz36

Post by baz36 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:53 pm
The stage myself and my partner are at is:-

IVA proposal has been signed and all creditors now should be in receipt of a copy. We are just waiting for the date of the meeting.

But I cant stand the phone calls, one credit card company in particular (who is a very small part of the total debt)£2000 and we owe £57,000 in total have been awful. Ive only missed one payment (cant afford to pay them anything)ive been nice, told them the situation,told them they can ring my debt company,still keep saying they want money out of me, keep ringing me at work, im at my wits end, been off sick from work due to all the worry.
Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

zoe

Post by zoe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:55 pm
Would this be MBNA by any chance?
Zoe
x

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:57 pm
Hi baz

I am so sorry to hear that you are being harrassed, when you have appointed professionals to act on your behalf, but unfortunately this just seems to be the stance most banks are taking at the moment.

Which company is it who are contacting you so vigourously? And make sure your IP gets those proposals in the post as soon as possible.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

baz36

Post by baz36 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:20 pm
Its Morgan Stanley, and the company say that all creditors should have the proposals

freelili

Post by freelili » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:29 pm
Hi Baz

simply tell them that you have explained everything already and you are not going to explain it all again. Then tell them that you are taking advice about harrassment laws as this is causing you stress, and tell them not to call you again. It takes time for the news to filter down to the bods on phone duty, they are paid to stress a payment out of you. Do not let it get to you as you are doing all you can. I have just had a rather nasty call from one of my, 'die hard' creditors, for about the 5th time today. I simply said that I am aware of the situation, a third party is dealing with it and please do not call again as I am taping the conversation in order to take issue regarding the harrassment laws. I cannot afford to pay and this is causing a great deal of distress. They then said that because I couldnt pay today, some further action would be taken, and I said thats good, I will be dealing with the courts instead of you people then? He changed his tune completely, thanked me for my co-operation and said he had updated the records. They cannot do anything Baz, I know its a big stress at work, but tell them that if they phone you at work again, you will be doing the same. If you dont let them get a word in edgeways, and attack them before they have a chance to attack you, you will have the upper hand.

Good luck and I sorry you are so stressed
Take care

LILY
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

zoe

Post by zoe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:35 pm
Hi Baz
Lilly is right.
I got to the point before Xmas that i thought i should end it all with all of the stress it was putting me under. I could not cope with the constant phone calls. I am still getting them now but have caller id on my phone so i simply dont answer withheld calls, if someone who knows me wants to speak to me then i know the number!
THese people are on commission to get as much money as possible out of people.
Lilly is correct with regard to the Harrassment acts quote these to them.
Zoe
xx

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:40 pm
Hi Baz, sorry to hear you are feeling so stressed. I would follow Lily's advice - be firm with them and mention the harrassment laws*. Remember, you are taking action to sort your debts out - be proud of that!

Onwards and upwards!!!

* http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1205

freelili

Post by freelili » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:49 pm
Baz, I used to feel like that, they make you feel worthless and lets face we do, dont we? We know we owe them, feel quilty about it and it makes us feel more worthless and they know this and use it.

However in our buy now and pay later culture there are many many people in our situation, we are not alone and we are not worthless. Hold your head up and stand firm and proud of yourself as you will be debt free. There are so many people like us out there.

Zoe, I am so glad you have got through the stress of this and are feeling more positive. You should be proud of yourself, I always read your posts, you are so brave. Good luck babe.

LILY
LILY

zoe

Post by zoe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:52 pm
Lily
Thanks Hun
Everyone is making me cry today (happy tears!)
XXX

hellybelly

Post by hellybelly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:55 pm
Just before christmas I got a phone call, I owed less than £100 yet they demanded to know why Christmas came before them, I felt guilty, I know I owed it (I have since sorted it out)yet my kids also needed my money.

In the end, calmly and politely I said "Do you want me to go and mug someone so I can pay you?"

They hung up and didn't ring back.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:58 pm
Nice one Hellybelly, I wish I'd thought of that one! Things that have happened to me recently have made me think - yes I borrowed the money and therefore will try to pay back as much as I can, but at the end of the day health is so much more important.

Onwards and upwards!!!

zoe

Post by zoe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:02 pm
Hi All
I was told by "Michael Hughes" from MBNA i will shame him because he was a really really nasty man that i had to borrow the money from family or friends to pay them. I told him i could not, and he turned really really nasty. I told him i that i could not cope with this and got upset. He told me it "wasn't his problem" and continued.
Zoe
xx

freelili

Post by freelili » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:23 pm
Guys

I have to share this with you. My phone call earlier from HSBC, the guy gave me all the ususal stuff and after saying that I was using the harrassment law, bla bla. I pointed out to him that I was in a temp DMP and to refer to the Income/expenditure form, I know that they have recieved. Them I told them that I was hoping to propose a lump sum IVA. They then said, oh, so you would be paying it all? I said no, I have other creditors and have to pay IP fee's. Then he said, well you would get that free cause youre on benefits! I said "do you actually know anything about insolvency?" He hung up. HA

LILY
LILY

hellybelly

Post by hellybelly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:25 pm
I wonder how many of these people like their job? Do they not see if we could pay we would pay.

The guy that rang me told me to borrow off family or friends.

What goes around comes around.....lets hope they find a worthwhile job eventually!

zoe

Post by zoe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:25 pm
What a stupid man
It just goes to show that the people that are calling us are quite low down the chain and have not a clue about what really happens and they are just there to see what they can get
x
21 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”