Phone contract and insurance question

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

CaliOb

Post by CaliOb » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:52 pm
Has anyone been able to get a new phone contract with their IVA? I just tried to upgrade through Vodafone and got declined.

Also, does having an IVA affect getting car insurance and travel insurance? I never thought about this previously because I never thought I'd be in the position to afford to drive or have a holiday. I need to learn to drive for my job, which getting a job was part of my iva stipulation. As for my holiday, my parents are taking us all on holiday but have said we need to get our own travel insurance etc.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:39 am
I am with O2 and managed to upgrade my phone during my IVA with no problem but obviously I cannot speak for Vodaphone. It may well be that you have to do a sim only deal until the end of your IVA.

As to the car, you will probably find that insurance companies will want you to pay the full amount upfront. I am also curious to know where you are going to get a car from?

Travel insurance shouldn't be a problem but then again I suspect they may want the full amount upfront.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Mrs_Brown

Post by Mrs_Brown » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 pm
I'm with Vodafone, I was able to upgrade in 2019 and again 2021, but they declined me my early upgrade in 2022 (they offered a Samsung yearly upgrade) so I'm not sure if they've changed their policy around IVAs. I have just bought a new handset and am going to swap to one of the rolling monthly companies who piggy back on other networks as I don't need a handset anymore. If you need a new phone could you make do with one of the budget androids at a couple of hundred quid?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:32 pm
Mrs Brown - I presume you meant contract and not handset? :D :D
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Mrs_Brown

Post by Mrs_Brown » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:34 pm
No am actual phone. Now I'm out the IVA I bought the phone outright, check me out all flash with the cash! No IVA payment and no council tax, got the phone and moving to a sim only deal next month once my contract is up.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:40 pm
Sorry - misunderstood! I must admit I love having a contract and I have unlimited texts and calls plus my house alarm runs on my phone.
Bob Marley.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”