Popping in to say hi. IVA completed 2013.

5 posts Page 1 of 1

GreenLily

Post by GreenLily » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:56 am
Hello. It’s been a while since I was last here. So long I had forgotten all my details and had to re-register. Why am I popping in? Well I had read an article in the news about IVA’s increasing in 2018 and remembered how valuable this forum was to me during my time of need. For many of you starting your journey or nearly there I know it can be hard. Five years is a long time but I can promise you this.....it will be worth it.

My husband and I finished our IVA in May 2013 and what a feeling that was. We felt joy and elation but were also apprehensive and scared. To this day we still keep a spreadsheet of our outgoings and still think do we need this before we buy expensive items. We are not tight with money but the lesson learned from our IVA years was handing over cash is far harder than signing on a dotted line!

Our most difficult hurdle post IVA was applying for a credit card to go and visit our son in America (we were advised this). I didn’t want to. It felt so wrong and I was a nervous wreck. I wondered if this is what an ex alcoholic felt just walking into a pub. So I got accepted straight away which made me angry as I didn’t want it. I had to use it once and logged in to the account a week later and paid off the balance. It didn’t sit well with me. To this day it is in the bottom of my wardrobe as I won’t use it.

We manage our money well and have savings now. We have become mortgage free and enjoy outings and holidays; this now being my priority over possessions like pre IVA having the best car, the biggest house, the best TV etc etc.

My only regret is that I didn’t do an IVA sooner when my children were younger but on the plus side as my teenagers had to live through the IVA they are also very good with money which makes me very proud.

Having been in debt I recognise friends/colleagues who are in debt. I am not ashamed to admit I have been down this road and have been able to help signpost then to gain advice for their situation. It feels good to help and I always carry extra tissues as once they unlease the burden it results in a few tears but at least the head comes out of the sand and they look for a positive way to tackle the debt.

The IVA journey is a long one and you will laugh and cry throughout your journey but I can assure you it will be the best thing you have ever done. Stick with it. Check in regularly with the forum as it helps keep you sane knowing other people are in the same situation you are in and also listen to all the valuable advice.

Wishing you all well in your IVA journey.

Mrs.T. Xx

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:50 am
Hello Mrs T :-)

Thank you for sharing your experiences --- like you I still live by my "In IVA budget" --- the lessons DO stick and priorities change !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

sarah341

Post by sarah341 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 pm
Thanks for your advice, it’s nice to hear happy story like yours, it make me stay positive.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:41 am
Great post, thanks for sharing!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

lisakent86

Post by lisakent86 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 pm
It is wonderful to know about your experience. I am also a little skeptical about my IVA, but your post is very encouraging. Thanks.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “keeping in touch”