possible to take a payment holiday in IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

b165

Post by b165 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:46 am
Please could you tell me if it is possible to take a payment holiday during my IVA? And is a 6 month break reasonable. I am currently in my 3rd year of my IVA

As I wish to have money availible to either repair my current car or look around for a new second hand car?

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:55 am
Hey b165, I think this was answered in your earlier post. How much do you need and what are your monthly payments as 6 months might be a little too long. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Sarah Nancollas

Post by Sarah Nancollas » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:47 am
To get a payment holiday your Supervisor needs to ask creditors who would vote on it in the same way that they voted on the proposal initially. Creditors are usually sympathetic to a holiday request in order to replace a car if monthly contributions are up to date. 6 months is not unheard of but it will depend on your creditors and how much you are looking to spend on a replacement car.

Good luck
Sarah Nancollas - Licensed Insolvency Practitioner with over 20 years experience.
Providing positive solutions for your debt problems.
For free no obligation advice on all debt solutions please click here www.nancollasgreer.com/html/contact_us.html

NBNA

Post by NBNA » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:06 pm
Would a creditors meeting be needed for a payment holiday be granted for a computer that has to be replaced. Say the cost of replacing it is £500.
"DEbt is all in the mind. Think wealth and you'll be wealthy but not in £££"

Blair Endersby

Post by Blair Endersby » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:34 pm
You need to look at the wording of your proposal and modifcations. There is usually room for a break of some sort, and in some cases you can reduce contributions by up to 15% provided that you make them up within 12 months of the end of the VA.

Sarah Nancollas

Post by Sarah Nancollas » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:35 pm
Any payment holiday needs creditors' consent - so yes, your Supervisor would need to call a creditors meeting.
Sarah Nancollas - Licensed Insolvency Practitioner with over 20 years experience.
Providing positive solutions for your debt problems.
For free no obligation advice on all debt solutions please click here www.nancollasgreer.com/html/contact_us.html

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:42 pm
Really? Even if you just want to miss one month and you can make it up over the next few months?
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:00 pm
That is correct Viki - the IP can use their own discretion up to three months missed payments, but there would need to be a firm plan to make up the arrears. It is hard to see how a 6 month payment break would assist in the purchase of a new car, unless the poster is proposing to save up the money and then buy at the six month point. I would personally explore whether friends or family could help out - who could then be repaid at the end of the IVA if they were willing.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”