Prepaid Cards - word of caution

5 posts Page 1 of 1

cul8tr

Post by cul8tr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:00 pm
Hi to all - here's a word of caution when using a prepay card at petrol stations and use the pay at pump facility. Basically the merchant takes an authorisation from your card of £50 in addition to the amount you spend. That authorisation remains for 15 days with the merchant before your funds are then 'released' back onto the card (it's in case you don't have sufficient funds !!). Having used the card several times to do this in a few days - I now find myself unable to use funds that are desperately needed prior to Christmas. [V]

I hope no one else encounters the same problem as it is really, really frustrating knowing that you have funds to spend but you cant get at them.

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:05 pm
Hi Cul8tr, Is that legal, that's disgusting. I thought the whole idea of pre paid cards was you could only use them if there were sufficient funds on them??

Skipper

Post by Skipper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:18 pm
Hi
The cashplus prepaid card warns of that so you should pay at the counter.

"Always think outside the box"
"Always think outside the box"

cul8tr

Post by cul8tr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:37 pm
Occasionally you forget what was in the small print - and you're in a hurry - so you take the easiest option and hey ho, it bites you on the bum.....

Just one of those things really - I just wanted to ensure it doesn't happen to anyone else on the forum. :-)

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:42 pm
I know one thing, I will ALWAYS take my time in reading any small print, I have been stung a couple of times with things like that before. Not that I will be putting myself in any credit agreements ever again (except for a mortgage a few years down the line maybe!)
Chris
Visit my blog at http://cr15py.blogs.iva.co.uk
16 down, 44 to go!!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “new postings for December”