Prepaid Credit Cards

5 posts Page 1 of 1

DebtDummy

Post by DebtDummy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:08 pm
Prepaid credit cards seem to be the in vogue now.
What are they exactly? How do they work? Are there high charges?
Can you reload from the internet or bank account?
Is there a tell-tale logo on it? Meaning, the card looks different from regular credit cards because of the design or logo or printing on it?

Mind you I am too old to be concerned with 'street-cred', but I get
odd looks and sometimes remarks for a STEP account card. This is why I am asking. Thank you all very much.
All I have left is my humour. :)

View my blog http://www.debtdummybankruwoman.blogs.iva.co.uk.

jamesfalla

Post by jamesfalla » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:25 pm
Hi Debt Dummy

I think you mean prepaid Debt Cards. There are a number of companies now on the internet who offer these. Essentially, the Pre Paid Debt card works like a normal bank Debit Card. You can never spend more than is in your account. However, with these cards, you essentially have to charge them up before you can use them.

The advantage of the card is that you can apply for one even if you have a terible credit rating because you are not actually borrowing anything. Therefore, they can be very useful for people with debt problems who can only get a basic bank account which does not offer a debt card as standard. The cards are normally associated with either MasterCard or Visa which means that you can use them in most shops. Also really usefully, you can use them for internet purchases.

The charges you can expect will vary between suppliers. There is normally a joining fee of between £10-£20 and then you will usually be charged every time you charge up the card. You will also pay charges for cash withdrawals etc.

There have been some articles in the press claiming that the cards are expensive. However, they have now been around in the UK for 18 mths or so (in the US for much longer) and so with increasing competition, i believe the charges have been coming down. However, you MUST be careful that you understand all of the charges before you sign up. Ultimately you will need to decide yourself whether the cost of the card is worth the convienience. Ultimately they are always going to be more expensive than the normal debit card you get for free with a standard current account!

Hope this helps

James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions, with extensive experience of solving personal debt problems over the past 10 years. I am regularly featured on BBC News, Finance Programs and Radio.

Visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk
James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions for over 10 years.

For more information visit www.jamesfalla.com and visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:26 pm
The card I have seen can be topped up with funds over the phone or in the post office. Once you have a balance on the card you can use the visa facility to buy things in the same way as a normal credit card i.e in shops over the phone. You can only ever spend the money which you have put on the card and I believe there is a small percentage charge when you put funds on the card. The card I have seen has nothing on it which distinguishes it from a normal credit card.

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles Ltd, A medium sized debt solutions provider based in London.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:25 pm
prepay debit card costs nine pounds 70p charge for loading at post office.(maestro) www.extremecred.com

prepay credit card cost around seventeen pounds and 5 pounds per month, top ups free from post office.(mastercard)Wages/benefits can be paid onto this directly.
www.mycashplus.co.uk.
Both look the same as any other card. I have cash card account and can only use lloyds machines so I use them both. maestro for bills, petrol food, Mastercard for spending/saving (I wish)

Good luck

LILY
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

iva_squirrel

Post by iva_squirrel » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 pm
Hello,

A Prepaid Card is NOT a Credit Card. It is a top up card, where you spend the money loaded onto it anywhere Maestro is accepted. There are no credit checks, no lengthy application processes or waiting, if you want one you get one and you don't even need to be 18.

You can only ever spend the money which you have put on the card and I believe there is a small percentage charge when you put funds on the card.

Kind regards,

Julia

For more information about IVAs, please visit my website:
www.supersonicsquirrel.net
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for january”