presents and IVA'S

56 posts Page 3 of 4

bagpuss

Post by bagpuss » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:15 am
dont know where abouts you are but Donnington Market sell them for £25...they aint the real heely's but they are very good.

Angie xx

My IVA Story......http://bagpuss.blogs.iva.co.uk/2007/09/ ... iva-story/

bagpuss

Post by bagpuss » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:17 am
just found these....£16.99....http://www.cruzshuzgb.com/

Angie xx

My IVA Story......http://bagpuss.blogs.iva.co.uk/2007/09/ ... iva-story/
Last edited by bagpuss on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:49 pm
Thanks Pixie, Angie, what a quality sight you have just saved me a fortune!! I haven't got a debit or pre paid card so can't buy on line but my sister has so I'm going to get her to pay and I will give her the csah!!
Perfect thanks very much!!

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:10 pm
well wish me luck tomorrow 4 0 clock start another bootie sale must admit i am addicted, good luck to all saving for xmas if any one wants to join me at 5 on the field lol, new lease of life for me and hubby its great wish we had done it yrs ago.
kerri

Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:01 am
I think the best present I have bought this year cost £2 and a shoe box, I wrapped and filled a shoe box with bits we had gathered throughout the year. Unwanted bits from Christmas last year, stuff that is given to you at birthdays etc., that you know you will never use! A free cuddly toy from boots etc., and sent it to daughters school with my £2 donation for a child:

The value of the gift is irrelevant and will make a child feel special and valued, and let them know that we care about them. All boxes are given to the neediest children regardless of nationality, political background or religious beliefs. The satisfaction to me and the look on their face on Christmas day = Priceless
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

ray_a

Post by ray_a » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:02 pm
We have budgeted and using our Sainsbury's stamps and Nectar points should cope with the food!

We have saved a bit without dipping into any other nest eggs to buy the small presents!

Thanks to the discipline of the IVA regime we have to save and we buy during the year for family presents. Our children we have saved for a large and a few small presents like clothing!

Without the worry of expensive credit card bills coming in January we know we have paid for Christmas before hand and we have enjoyed the last few years.

What is so special is that a lot of the family have decided to join us and are bringing things as well so this Christmas will be special one feels!

I do hope everyone will have a lovely Christmas despite their financial problems.

The Stones

Post by The Stones » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 am
Hi everyone.
I may put a dampner on all your positive feelings, so i'll apologise now!

This will be our 2nd xmas in an IVA, and to be honest it's terrible. Yes it's good not to have to use credit, but we don't have any extra money at all, we can't even do without things to make money go further. We are dreading this xmas, our son is 9 and talking about this PS2 game and that PS2 game and I try saying that Santa may not be able to bring those things and he will say but it's only a game mum, it's not much What do I say to him? Santa is real and I want to keep it that way for a little while longer. Last year I managed to sell some things on eBay to make £, but this year I don't have anything to sell. It sounds like everyone else has money to spare, where are we going wrong?

But it does feel good not to have to use plastic. And I do notice what other people use to pay for goods now, not many use a debit card!!!

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:42 am
Thats a very moving post from The Stones.

Its just a thought but have you asked your IP if you would be allowed to keep 50% of the wages if you were to take an extra temporary part-time job until Christmas? I know a lot of places take on temporary staff at this time of year. And this would give you some extra cash to spend on your son. I dont know anything about your circumstances so I realise this might not be practical - its just an idea.

This is my first Christmas in an IVA. I am not looking forward to it but I am lucky in that I do not have children to think about - that must be very hard.

Good Luck.
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

caraf

Post by caraf » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 am
Hi. I am just waiting for my proposal to come this morning. Are things really so bad and tight in an IVA, quite alot of people just have no money for Christmas ??? Am i going to have to live in poverty for 5 years
53 down 7 to go !!
Cant wait till December 2012

The Stones

Post by The Stones » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 am
It's not about poverty at least it shouldn't be.

Our problem began right in the beginning.

When you go into an IVA, you are asked to write down everything that you spend, essentials, right down to the last penny. We didn't know just how accurate this had to be, and with some things like pets, we gave a 'best guess estimate', which was so wrong. If you do your income and expen in great detail, then you should be ok!
The problem we've had it for eg, we said our pets cost approx £20 p/m, they don't they cost £90, which is a huge difference. petrol, i underestimated big time. I have a 14yr son who doesn't live with me so evey 6 wks I drive a300 mile round trip to collect him. this is about £120 just for the journeys not inc the fuel we use in between for work etc. again a short fall. The idea is you put a little away each month for car maint' and incidentals, but in practise this doesn't happen.
Sorry this is short, I have to go out, but I will pop back later and maybe elaborate bit more.
It isn't all bad an IVA, honest the better of two evils I say!!!

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 am
caraf -

I can only speak from my own experience but - no - you wont have to live in poverty. You will probably have to be prepared for some changes in lifestyle however. Dont forget that the basis of an IVA is that you will repay as much as you can reasonably afford to your creditors. But your arrangement should include a contingency amount which you will hopefully be able to put by for unexpected bills or to save up for the odd luxury.

An IVA is tough - but it gives you the chance to put your debt problems behind you once and for all. Stay positive!!!!
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

aguise

Post by aguise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 am
As the stones says,it has a lot to do with the income and expenditure you put down. It has to be realistic for you to live on, if it isnt then you will struggle and risk failure. This is why it is said so many times that you have to get it right at the beginning. Ours is right and we dont struggle, I might add some of the pressure is taken off by keeping 50% overtime but even if that wasnt there, I know we can manage.
Stones do you have the option for overtime ? as said above speak to your IP explain the added expenditure problems and ask if there is a way to improve things, rises in expenditure can be offset against overtime so you may be able to keep most of it if able to do any, or maybe a short term second job, as suggested, just to afford a little for xmas. I really hope you can find some improvement.

Ang

Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

ray_a

Post by ray_a » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 am
Stones

I am sorry to hear about your position.

Do take the advice and try and act on it.

I guess this Christams will be tough but the Post office have announced a savings scheme whereby for Christmas 2008 you will be to save money on a card and then be able to draw down in November 2008. Not helpful for this year but at least you will have something to work for 2007.

My only comment might be and I know I will be shot by the experts! But perhaps you could ask your IP for a payment holiday of one month and make the payment up.

Hope it works out for you!

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:29 pm
it is very hard.... ive had to cut back on food shopping - buying the minimal things i can to survive - eating pasta bake 4 nites a week cus its cheap... not gone to football training for the last two months, sounds sad, but saving me 2 pound a session has made me 16 quid - thats one present sorted..

reckon im gonna start saving in jan for next year.

nearly there tho - onlny got a few more pressies to buy then when jan comes this will be my first chirstmas that i havent amounted more debt up.

57 PAYMENTS TO GO..
Last edited by R1chard on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lots of payments to go.

louisa.s

Post by louisa.s » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:46 pm
Stones - which games is he after? Its just a thought but my friend can get some of them cheaper as she works for one of the companies and I could put it on the list if you like?

Also have you checked out Amazon? They do pretty good deals on their new & used section.

Caraf - things are tight in an IVA we won't pretend that but for us it partly down to the fact that we've never been good at living on a budget - it does get easier - we've now got 3 joint accounts (1 for bills, 1 for food and 1 for everything else, plus 1 for the car!) to help us budget and not spend the money that is needed for bills etc but saying that the iva is the best thing we've done and we're coming into our 2nd christmas.
56 posts Page 3 of 4
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”