really need help

10 posts Page 1 of 1

clairesomp

Post by clairesomp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:09 pm
Ive been in a IVA for nearly 3 years and never missed a payment! I used to share a catalogue with my friend and it was taken out in my name. My friend called me to say she has placed an order for a few items. I thought this catalogue account would have been closed when I started IVA although there were no monies owing. I'm so frightened that my supervisor could find out and cancel my Iva, what should I do? Should I call my supervisor to explain. This mess has been caused due to me not wanting me friend to know my financial circumstances! Shall I get items returned and cancel account with catalogue?

Would be grateful for any help as Ive managed to keep my IVA going until now.

Many thanks

Claire

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:20 pm
Dont panic,but you are going to have to either get your friend to pay for the tiems and clear the balance asap,or get the items returned. £ years of iva payments will not be flsuhed down the pan due to this happening.
As a rule dont put your name to anything that others can gain credit from.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:23 pm
Don't panic. Either get your friend to pay up in full or make arrangements to pay off the debt as soon as you can. In any event stop the friend using the account with the catalogue company or better still cancel the account so that this cannot happen again.
Depending on what you do it might be advisable to mention the matter to your supervisor.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:25 pm
Do not panic. You have done nothing wrong and your IVA will not be failed. First of all the items may not be delivered if the catalogue company does an up to date search. If so you can tell your friend you had cancelled it and she would need to get one for herself.

If the items are delivered and your friend pays as normal there is no problem but at this time make sure no more orders can be placed without your knowledge. It is not necessary to cancel altogether as it may come in handy when the IVA is over as a means of rebuilding your credit file or earning some pin money.

Tell your IP what has happened for peace of mind and he/she can give retrospective permission for the credit to be obtained. Bear in mind it is not a breach to obtain credit in an IVA if you have the consent of the supervisor.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

clairesomp

Post by clairesomp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:40 pm
Thanks everyone for youre advice it's made me much happier knowing I could be okay! I'm still not looking forward to calling supervisor to advise but I honestly did'nt think the catalogue would still be running. I hope they will agree as ca'nt think what to tell friend if I need to get items sent back.

Many thanks for all youre help!

Claire

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:43 pm
I'm sure you will be ok Claire.

If the items have to be returned, you could always tell your friend that due to the credit crunch you're cancelling the catalogue.

You could tell her that anyway, and suggest that she takes out an account for herself.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 pm
I would get the catalogue account transferred to your friend's sole name if she is going to continue to order goods from it, or just close the account down to avoid this happening in the future.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

clairesomp

Post by clairesomp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:43 pm
I consider myself to be an honest person but would I be better not to say anything and hope it goes unnoticed? I personally would tell them but I'm worried about concequences.

Many thanks

Claire

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:48 pm
It is better to tell the IP and explain how you have sorted it out. Then [in the highly unlikely event that anything would ever arise as a result of the catalogue debt] you are covered. It really is not a serious issue and you have nothing to fear. If you do not tell the IP then it could look like you have something to hide.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:49 pm
I don't think there would be any consequences as you could explain to the IP what had happened. You won't have your IVA failed for this.

You do need to decide what you are going to do about the catalogue though.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “credit”