Renting post IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

mummy1

Post by mummy1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 pm
Can anyone let me know if someone will be accepted by a landlord/estate agent to rent a flat - my daughters IVA finished last year by a F&F and her name is no longer on the IVA register.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Hi. Many of our posters in IVA's as well as those out the other side have managed to secure rented accommodation.

First, be upfront with any agents, there will be no point in paying for a credit check you know you might fail. Some agents will work with you to work around this. Some will ask for a larger deposit, rent upfront or a guarantor. Sometimes a landlord will simply ignore the credit check when the circumstances are explained.

Another avenue is to rent privately --- private landlords rarely bother with formal credit checks.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm
Hi ask your daughter to check her credit files are up to date and if all clear she may not have a problem. If the IVA is still showing then maybe be upfront and offer a guarantor or some require several months rent up front. There are posters that have been succesful with renting both with agencies and private landlords. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

ladybird321

Post by ladybird321 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 pm
I have just applied for a rental today and I am post IVA. I am however squeaky clean on the old Credit reports, no defaults and no IVA showing they disappeared in Nov/Dec. The Reference Agency used by the Estate Agent is called LetRisks. I looked them up and they use Experian data. Experian has my Credit score as Excellent. After searching the internet, I believe they can only see: IVAs, Bankruptcys, CCJs and defaults they can't see any other credit accounts, they can also see address information. Trying to stay optimistic, they shouldn't find anything adverse as it has all fallen off....but can't stop worrying. On the on line form they did ask the following question: 'Do you have Bankruptcy or Insolvency arrangements or any adverse credit?' I answered correctly 'no'. thankfully it wasn't the 'ever' question but still worry they will find out.

Mummy1 - When did you daughter start her IVA? This is important as the IVA will remain on her credit files until after 6 years of the start date. If the 6 years have not expired irrespective of a F&F letting agencies will find out when they do checks. If 6 years have expired it is still woth her checking her credit files first as sometimes they stay on there in error but she can request they are deleted. this also applies to defaults.
IVA finished Oct 2011, CC received 27 April 2012, No longer on Insolvency Register 01 May 2012. Jan 2013 - all Credit Files squeaky clean :)

UpToMyNeck

Post by UpToMyNeck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:01 am
As foggy says, its vital that your daughter is up front with the agent from outset. I stupidly paid over £400 in application fees for a rental property, knowing I would fail the credit check, but as I was in a position to pay the full 6 months rent up front, I didnt see this as being a problem - wrong! Once I had failed the check, the landlord wasnt interested in renting to me as he saw me as a high risk tenant who after the 6 months was up might dig my heels in and stop paying any more rent but refuse to move out. It an unfortunate by product of an IVA or BR that some small minded people confuse someone who has had trouble managing their finances with someone who has no morals! So make sure your daughter explains that she is likely to fail the check, and ask whether this is likely to be a problem before she pays over any application fees.
Non sibi sed omnibus

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 am
After my IVA has cleared itself up properly, another 18 months or so I realise, I want to sell my house and relocate and we will rent.

Do update us how she gets on x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”