renting with an iva....again

6 posts Page 1 of 1

linzi71

Post by linzi71 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:39 pm
hi again.i posted a question a few weeks ago and received some great advice, but now i have another question. my partner and i are shortly moving into rented accommodation together, and have decided to put the tenancy agreement in his name because of my iva. my question is do i have to declare my iva to the letting agency, as it looks likely that we're going to have to use one? obviously i will be paying half the rent and towards bills etc, but not sure if it's best to be upfront now in case they find out at a later date. grateful for any advice anyone can give me [:)]

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 pm
I do not see what could be gained from telling the agency. It may restrict the properties available to you and ultimately it is your partner who is exposed in that if you default on the agreement it is he who is liable. The agency and therefore the landlord will be paid regardless so I do not see any point in creating a problem where none exists.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:51 pm
It might be an idea to run this by the letting agency just to be sure that your partner would not be in breach of any subletting policy - but tactically I would leave this until the day before you are due to move in as the landlord would not wish to lose a letting and start again.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:56 am
Well if your partner is taking out the let and has disclosed thathe has a partner moving in with him then I would suggest it would not be necessary. Presumably they are only requesting details of your partners income?
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

linzi71

Post by linzi71 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:03 pm
yes i think they only need to know i am moving in for income purposes and i won't be going on the tenancy agreement. thanks again for all the helpful advice. [:)]

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:22 am
Glad that the Forum has given you good advice.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “renting”