Secondary Banking Options

26 posts Page 1 of 2

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:21 am
Hi all, I have added quite a few posts here over the last week or so and over many topics, so you may remember me.

I am still looking for the right "secondary banking facility" as a back-up, and I have taken many of your words to good mind, however, it seems that one point is a stumbling block still...

The main point will be to use counter services to pay a cash bill... I do not need Internet account unless to view account only. My current account already has all facilities usually needed, except, they are an Internet ONLY bank, so have no counter services... I notice, right or wrong, that in words written me here and indeed on the web searches to banks so far, that you will not get a counter service (ie: withdraw cash over counter), this suggests to me that if I wanted to pay a paper bill with mandate, I might still have a problem.

Unfortunately, I did upset many banks in my IVA process, so most suggested that will be good for a basic account, I cannot approach, and the other main thing... will I be able to pay a paper bill over the counter without paying fees, as in, either taking cash to the counter or withdrawing amount from account to pay that paper bill regardless how small the amount? I have noticed that in cases, the banks have transaction parameters to use... I really need to make a good choice here... I see that within one pre-pay card that I found and referred on here (Tuxedo), has pretty good choice, but wonder if there is over counter facility on a normal high street bank... I could of course list all my NONO banks here, but maybe list will be too long!

Gordon

Try to develop the present to change the future that will enhance new memories of the past... www.thedotdots.com
Outreaching World Concerns

kpw

Post by kpw » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:43 am
Hi
If you have no debt with alliance and leicester you can use the over the counter service at any post office to draw or pay in cash.

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:46 am
Thanks... A&L have come up a few times here, I think that must be the best vote... In your opinion, is there anything with A&L that is a negative for the VA elite?

Gordon

Try to develop the present to change the future that will enhance new memories of the past... www.thedotdots.com

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:49 am
Oh, that's a blow... they do not have a A&L branch in my town!

Gordon

kpw

Post by kpw » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:50 am
Hi
Shouldn't be if you just go for the basic a/c

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:52 am
Not a local branch... will have to re-think, thanks,

G

kpw

Post by kpw » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:52 am
Hi
You only need to go to the nearest branch to open a/c.
Other than that use any cash point and post office facilities

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:53 am
Ok... will they open one via online do you know? ... Hey, one moment, let me just go and check out their website...

G

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:00 pm
Just been to online site... seems many types of accounts there... may pay to go direct to branch when I can get out... seems better as you say, as can use ATMs or counter service at POs... Will POs need service charge or understand the A&L account as OK to pay a bill slip?

Do you have to declare in IVA?

G.

Last edited by dots on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kpw

Post by kpw » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:33 pm
Hi
there is no service charge at PO but you will have to ask at PO about bill paying facilities. A+L give you pre-addressed envelopes to post cheques off to their main HO in Bootle if you want to pay cheques in. Takes 3 days from when Bootle get them to clear
Last edited by kpw on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:42 pm
Thanks, but I will be using this account purely so I can pay paper-bill-slips (like from an invoice/statement) via cash and maybe save a little at the same time... It is bill paying facilities that is the premium use... I could go to any bank with my bill-slip and pay over the counter, but if I do not hold an account there, they will charge for the privilege... In the case that maybe the PO might charge, I am not really any further forward... I will have to enquire further.. Maybe someone here knows form experience...

G

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:56 pm
Can you not pay by DD Dots? Most companies charge more if you don't use DD.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

lily

Post by lily » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:22 pm
I pay all of my bills through direct debit and its cheaper. I only pay at the post office for car tax. You can do that online now, also. A lot of payments can also be made online via a direct transfer.

lily
lily

louisa.s

Post by louisa.s » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:22 pm
We set up a savings account with Abbey National as they don't credit score for a basic savings account and you get a bank card and you can get direct debits set up on it and standing orders as well - i use it for my car account etc - thats of course if Abbey aren't one of your creditors!

dots

Post by dots » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:55 pm
Thanks Louisa... I have located an ANat in my Town, I will more likely try that one... Do you need to go in branch to open it or can you open it ok online without credit checking?

I need a counter use Skippy, so I can have a back up savings account off the VA and the occasional small invoices that come through that can pay over counter... as my Bank is solely INTERNET, I have no counter facility.

Gordon

26 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”