Serious illness

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
640 posts Page 1 of 43

Ida Clare

Post by Ida Clare » Sat May 02, 2009 5:39 am
I need some advice, please.

Both my husband and I are in separate IVAs, we are with Payplan. Both began at the same time roughly, his a month or so after mine. April 2005 me, June for him.

We are both almost finished.

We missed one or two payments with permission and with good reason, some issues with pay being a month i hand for me not a problem there.

Anyway, we have 10 payments each roughly left.

So yesterday he was diagnosed with cancer.

I am a supply teacher and so if I don't work, I cannot get paid. I won't be able to work now, not regularly, and I cannot actually face any reality of that.

Can someone please explain to me the position re IVA and serious illness, please?

What do we do?

What will they do?

I hope I was more coherent than I feel here.

mole

Post by mole » Sat May 02, 2009 5:53 am
Hi,it sounds like you have done fantastically well to keep up your IVA for so long. You and your creditors will not want it to fail at this point. You will need to check with your IP but if you are unable to work, you may be able to settle your IVA with a Full and Final settlement (if you have any insurance payout, etc). Even if you do not, your IP could ask the creditors just to end the agreement based on current citcumstances and how much you have paid. I would think they would be sympathetic to this. An expert from an IP firm will be on shortly to give your there more considered view.
I know its a tough time for you but hang in there and don't worry about the IVA, I sure this will be sorted out ok.

Ida Clare

Post by Ida Clare » Sat May 02, 2009 6:06 am
Thank you.

I have tried to leave out the emotional stuff (falling apart here, been sat here all night, he has cancer, cancer............head isn't quite round that so need something to focus on), we have no insurance I can find, I mean I don't know, mortgage insurance? If we had any funds we could access we would have, I know illness might alter that but I am working on the assumption we don't, we have nothing to offer them, no final sum, we couldn't even get that remortgage thing,As I say, am tired, past emotional but am working on the assumption I have nothing to offer the creditors except a pound of flesh and the facts, my husband is critically ill at 40. v

mole

Post by mole » Sat May 02, 2009 6:15 am
My best wishes really do go out to you. I don't know your exact circimstances but my father-in-law was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and after an operation and radiotherapt has made a fantatsic recovery. These days, there is so much that can be done.

Not sure who your IP is but as previously mentioned get in touch immediatly and I'm sure they will be able to negotiate the end of the IVA. Over 4 years you will have paid an acceptable amount and your genuine situation will not be overlooked.

Good Luck to both of you, be strong for your husband and sort out the finances quickly so it is one less thing on your mind.

Ida Clare

Post by Ida Clare » Sat May 02, 2009 7:11 am
it's in his Gullet.

We were told yesterday, not too much else, they want a closer look before they decide what to do.

This money worry is on my mind, apart from everything else, I need to be with him, and if I do that, I can't earn any money. I can't pay my IVA or any part of his.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 02, 2009 7:11 am
So sorry to hear the news about your husbands diagnosis.

I believe both you and your husband should request from Payplan that they put a variation to your creditors to the effect that what you have paid already is accepted as a F&F settlement.

I don't believe that there would be any problem with this and furthermore your creditors, under the circumstances will accept same.

Good luck and be positive as there are a lot of new medical treatments that do work.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

Ida Clare

Post by Ida Clare » Sat May 02, 2009 7:16 am
Thank you so much.

May I ask you, will they need a lot of paperwork?

I mean they have all the financial stuff they have periodically asked for, and obviously we will be able to provide all and any medical proof, but frankly, he is so ill, he cannot pull together this stuff or that stuff, I wouldn't even know where to look for it.Thank you so much.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 02, 2009 7:25 am
Only the medical note I suspect as everything else they are aware of.
x
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

Ida Clare

Post by Ida Clare » Sat May 02, 2009 7:27 am
Thank you David. Truly.

I have sat here all night, all sorts of thoughts going through my head, money, my children, my husband.

Thank you.

xxx

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 02, 2009 7:35 am
I know it is hard, but once you get over the initial shock you have to be strong for both your husband and children. They will rely on you so you have to be strong to support them and all the issues now facing you and the familly.

Has any treatment been recommended yet? When will he start on same?

Ida Clare

Post by Ida Clare » Sat May 02, 2009 7:43 am
There will be chemo, David, and an operation, the order of which will be decided by the tests they will carry out in the next week I fervently hope, to look closely at the cancer and decide the best course of action.

I think once I feel able to be where I need to be, not chasing pennies to feed my kids while he is going through the hospital stuff alone, as has been the situation until yesterday, I will feel a little better.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 02, 2009 7:46 am
Your right - and I will keep my fingers crossed and hope everything goes OK. Speak to your IP as soon as possible and get that out of the way as a first priority. Keep in touch. xx

Ida Clare

Post by Ida Clare » Sat May 02, 2009 7:51 am
I truly appreciate your help David, heartfelt thanks to you.
I won't be going to work on Tuesday, and I will be ringing Payplan. I also won't be anywhere but with my family, because of the urgency of the issue, so far almost all of his appointments have been phone calls to come in on the same day, the diagnosis was a call at 1pm yesterday to be at the hospital within the hour. I was at work, I didn't even know about it.

That can't happen again.

xx

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 am
[:)][:)]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:21 am
I've just caught up with this Ida, and wanted to say that I am so sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis and hope that he will make a full recovery.

I am sure that Payplan will be sympathetic and that you will be able to finish early.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
640 posts Page 1 of 43
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”