Set-up stage ... calls coming in!

37 posts Page 3 of 3

Simbel

Post by Simbel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 am
Confuzzled - I've just had a terrible call from MBNA (actually Mercers, Barclaycard have been great). I'm going to follow everyone's advice and take the phone off the hook for the rest of the day (hopefully no-one will call tomorrow) and I'll be back off the hook on Boxing day - I'm going to do this until my meeting date. Why don't you do the same and join me! [:I]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:16 pm
I've not known anyone yet have a call on Christmas Day.

Good idea to take the phone off the hook, or you could just refuse to answer the security questions. They can't carry on if you do that.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

elliotgreen

Post by elliotgreen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:23 pm
You cannot stop the calls and the letters.

Unwelcome they are and whilst this process is stressful try if you can to keep a sense of perspective, in that the letters and phone calls are just that.

No harm can come of them unless you allow them to affect you.

Be honest and tell people you have started the IVA procedure from which you hope that your creditors will approve.

In reality whilst ignoring them is never a good idea unless you are actually infront of the courts which hopefully will not happen once your IVA is hopefully approved, then letters and phone calls are simply reminders of your need to have done what you have done - to deal with your debt nightmares and demons, but besides this a letter and a phone call has no hold over you. Best of luck.

Elliot Green (Licensed Insolvency Practitioner)
**Link removed - only experts can advertise on the forum**
Last edited by elliotgreen on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Elliot Green, Licensed Insolvency Practitioner

My firm can propose an IVA for you. If you are interested please follow the link to
http://www.ouryclark.com/insolvency or email me

Also pay a visit my blogs at: http://elliotgreen.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 pm
Unfortunately many people who call are just downright nasty and threatening and it's not easy to take no notice, especially when they phone constantly. I was lucky in that it was only MBNA who hassled me, and I have to admit losing my temper with them.

Personally if I was getting constant hassle I would do what a lot of other posters have done and change my number.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 pm
Unfortunately they will affect people, and I defy anyone who is in deep financial trouble not to be worried.

Even if you tell them that you have started the process, some of the bully boys in the call centres will tell you that they will vote no. OK for us on here as we know otherwise, however there must be a lot of people out there who will be worried sick.

They can, and do, send round debt collectors. Something else to be worried about.

I'm curious as well as to why people should be up before the courts once an IVA is approved?

I had an additional phone number and unplugged the other one. I only spoke to Mercers on the day my IVA was approved, but I did have a lot of nasty letters from them.

It's human nature to worry about these things.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:41 am
My first letter and call from mercers put the fear of god into me and I hit the forum straightaway for reassurance. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 pm
That was how I found the forum. I defy anyone who has had these calls and letters not to be worried by them.
Bob Marley.
37 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “Harrassment by creditors ?”