Settlement Figure

5 posts Page 1 of 1

Dizzylizzy27

Post by Dizzylizzy27 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:06 pm
Hi

I maybe able to pay off my IVA early but just spoken to the debt company and they have said that my creditors would require all the money owing and would not take a reduced amount.

Has anyone come across this or does anyone have any advice??

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:33 pm
Hi. For starters, until they put the offer to the creditors they don't know the response! Many IVA's have been settled early with reduced amounts -- much depends upon the individual circumstances. Many creditors will prefer a decent lump in one hit, rather than dribs and drabs over 5 years and are willing to lower their expectations in a compromise.

Which firm are advising you?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Dizzylizzy27

Post by Dizzylizzy27 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:44 pm
Thank you for your reply!

Freeman Jones is the company advising me.

I wonder if they have said that as they will lose out on fees for the remaining months on IVA
Last edited by Dizzylizzy27 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:28 pm
I doubt they are saying that to maximise their fees. A completed IVA is a successful tick in the box and there are many out there who will replace you on their books.

I would put together what you feel is an affordable and reasonable offer and speak to your IP about it, not to an office bod.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:37 pm
Could it be to do with the reasons why you want to finish early? Usually it is do with a change in circumstances such as redundancy or illness.

You would normally be expected to pay back as close to the original dividend as possible.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “tips for IVA success”