Shingles

21 posts Page 1 of 2

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:30 pm
Hi All

I'm off work at the moment with shingles so I thought I'd pop on to catch up with my friends. This forum gets bigger and bigger every time I come on here. I'm sure we could win some record for being the biggest if not the best forum.

Hope everyone is well? I thought I was coping really well emotionally but my body has other ideas and now I 've developed these awful shingles. They're really painful and in a akward place on my side just under my arm which makes movement very uncomfortable. Has anyone had shingles and if so do you know how long they last?

Take care
Dee

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 pm
Oh poor you Dee, I have heard that shingles is very painful[:(]
I hope it improves soon, sometimes stress comes out in funny ways and we think we are coping fine but it shows in conditions like yours.

I don't know how long they last as I think its different in all cases, my mum had them last year on her fingers and we went to the health shop and got treatment as conventional medicines did not help.

I think the doctors more prescribe steroid type creams but the health shop ones worked well.

If find them I will post what they are
x
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

debtmountain

Post by debtmountain » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:00 pm
Hi Dee,[:)]

Nice to see you back on the Forum,but poor you having Shingles. Luckily,touch wood I have never had it but know a couple of people who have and they were in a lot of pain.All i know about it is that its a similar virus to chicken pox and can last for weeks[:(] i do hope you recover from it soon and hope Doc has prescribed you some strong painkillers.

Take Care
xx
IVA accepted 13/11/2008..17 payments down,55 to go..

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm
Oh Dee, that's awful news.....hope you're feeling better soon, x
It's nice to be back......

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 pm
Hey Dee, I'm so sorry you're going through that, I've heard it's very painful. You poor thing. I'm thinking of you. Hope it clears up soon.X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:56 pm
Thanks all

I did get some strong pain killers and some other tablets to disolve in water 5 times a day. I refused a sick note cause I'm hoping to be better by Monday as we have our graduation ceremonies next week and I look forward to giving out the certificates. I'll just have to see how it goes and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your best wishes

Dee

tori

Post by tori » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 pm
Hi Dee,it's lovely to see you back,and i can totally sympathise with you as i had shingles when i was 16.I just remember it being extremely sore & uncomfortable & had them on both sides under my arms,& across my back.I remember the doctor commenting that it was unusual for someone so young to get them,as it's more common with the elderly?! so that didn't make me feel any better! I had to 'paint' them with a lotion to help them 'dry out'.It really was awful.I do hope it clears up soon for you.Take care[:)]xx
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

facefacts

Post by facefacts » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:59 am
If you go to the Doc they can give you a tablet which deals with the nerve endings and stops the pain fast. They wont give you this unless you have tried other options first though.
10 down. 50 to go. DFD planned 3/9/2013! Getting there slowly but surely.

Wizzzard

Post by Wizzzard » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:05 am
Shingles is an infection of a nerve area. It causes pain and a rash along a band of skin supplied by the affected nerve. Symptoms usually go within 2-4 weeks. Pain sometimes persists after the rash has gone, more commonly in people over the age of 50. Other complications are uncommon. Antiviral medication may be prescribed to limit the severity of the condition.
The best psychological health comes from admitting your faults and recognizing they're caused by someone else.
Wizzzard xxx

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:55 am
Nice to see you back Dee - hope you feel better soon xx

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:03 pm
Still in a lot of pain I'm afraid. I'm just wrestling with myself as to whether I should go back to work on Monday or call for the doctors for the sick note. I don't like taking time off work but I dont think they can afford to carry anyone over the next few days. I'm just so worn down by being in pain constantly and my job is very stressful. I'll give it until tomorrow evening then make my final decison.

Dee

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:14 pm
Dee - you won't do yourself any favours by going to work if you're not well. Give yourself time to recover properly.

xx

debtmountain

Post by debtmountain » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:37 pm
Dee,

I agree with Julie,make sure you get that sick note and take time to recover from it...it's not your fault that you're ill,take good care of yourself.

xx
IVA accepted 13/11/2008..17 payments down,55 to go..

chardonnay

Post by chardonnay » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:04 pm
Hi Dee,
Sorry t hear you're unwel - it sounds really painful. You need to take time to recover, if you go back too soon you'll be suseptable to catching other bugs which is not a good idea. Idon't know for sure, but is it contagious?
I've only been in my new job since the end of August and I've been off sick three times so I understand why you'd worry about sick time. My work have been great and I'm sure your's will be too - you can't help being ill, it happens to all of us.
It's stragne, but the stress of getting the debt solution in place obviously takes a real toll on the body - I can't believe how many bugs,etc I've caught since I started my IVA!!
Take care and let us know how you are during your recovery,
Big hug,
Chardonnay
Chardonnay

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:27 pm
I hope you feel better soon Dee. I would do to the doctors and get the sick note - as I've found over the years you don't get any thanks for struggling on. You need to get yourself better - you've had a stressful time so I'm not surprised you're feeling low x
21 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “friends corner”