Shopping

30 posts Page 1 of 2

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:31 pm
I'm quite proud of myself! Dave and I went to Sainsburys today and I really tried to be good and save money. When I got home I sat down and worked out what I'd saved:

4 x Sainsburys soya milk - £3.96 (as opposed to Alpro £5.68)
1 x Sainsburys squash - £1.09 (Robinsons £1.99)
1 x Tresemme Shampoo (900ml) - £4.96 (Sheer Blonde 250ml £4.49)
1 x Tresemme Conditioner (900ml) - £4.96 (Sheer Blonde 250ml £4.49)
1 x Sainsburys tomato ketchup - £0.91 (Heinz £2.77)
1 x Sainsburys toilet roll - (18 rolls) - £6.69 (Andrex 9 rolls £4.46)
3 x Sainsburys tuna mayo - £4.47 (Weight Watchers £5.97)
2 x Sainsburys Red Label tea - £3.50 (PG Tips £6.38)
1 x Sainsburys tootpaste - £0.49 (Sensodyne £2.79)

Today I only saved £4.70, but if I'd bought the equivalent quantities (i.e. 18 Andrex etc) I have saved £30.31!

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:35 pm
Good for you Skippy. I really enjoy going shopping now and finding the cheapest item or special offers, it takes longer but I feel great even if I only save a pound or two. I think I'll always be like this now. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:42 pm
I forgot to count Harry's food though - he used to eat Sainsbury's own brand pouches at £2.07 for 12, but after his hunger strike he's now on Whiskas at £3.38 for 12! There's something wrong here - Dave and I are cutting back, while Harry is living in luxury!

ann.s

Post by ann.s » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Skippy13, asda have whiskas at 3 boxes of 12 for 6.00 so i'v stocked up, got different varieties so she dosn't get bored.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:51 pm
Thanks for that Ann - I'm trying not to stock up too much at the moment as I have 90 pouches in the shed from Sainsburys and Tesco that he's refusing to eat! It's 3 for 2 in Sainsburys at the moment so that's all I bought, in case he changes his mind again!

ann.s

Post by ann.s » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:56 pm
Arn't cats fussy at times, stella was eating felix two weeks ago then went on strike, tried alsorts costing a fortune now she's decided to eat whiskas, she is such an active cat bringing loads of little presents (not nice ones) so she eats quite a bit more in the summer I like to keep her well fed for her nights out hunting!!!

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 pm
Yeah Ann, Nia has been the same. She will go for months eating one cat food and then not touch it so we have to change. She always gets fussy after we've stocked up on the stuff she decides not to like too! Like you Skippy, we've got lots and lots of catfood pouches in the cupboards!
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

tori

Post by tori » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:18 pm
i have to say it really is a nice feeling knowing that you've saved money & bagged a bargain.i love going to home bargain as branded products are loads cheaper than they are in supermarkets & i only ever buy tesco/asda's own label stuff cause its just as good but 1/2 the price of branded stuff.nowadays i get all excited when i do the weekly shop cause its like a little adventure going round comparing prices of things & seeing how much money weve saved & ive even trained oh to be a top notch bargain hunter!!
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:23 pm
There are some things where I will carry on buying branded items - Green Giant tinned sweetcorn (Sainsburys is digusting), Wilkinson Sword razor blade (cheaper ones are rougher and don't last as long) and Kellogs cereal. I'll give anything else a go!

freelili

Post by freelili » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:46 pm
I bought a skirt last week from M and S for a formal function, I only really wear jeans. Well I wasnt keen and it was expensive so I took it back, saw something really similar for a third of the price. The trouble is I forgot to take the belt, which I took off at home to try it on, so I swore blind there was no belt on it. I wouldnt normally do this but I wouldnt have got the cheaper skirt in the other shop as it was a closing down sale. I got a cheap skirt and a free belt. I might take the belt back as I am feeling some remorse now, the girl was quite young, didnt seem to want to argue with me.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

tori

Post by tori » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:11 pm
re branded items,the one thing i wont swap for a cheapie version is lenor concentrate...the yellow one.the smell it leaves on my clothes is just divine & worth every penny[:)]lily i would be just like you,feeling guilty,but it was a genuine mistake and im sure mr m&s,who is probably on a beach in the carribean wont miss one little belt...[:D]x

Maz

Post by Maz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:28 pm
Yes, I think Tori could be right there, don't feel guilt about it!

I went TKMAX for the first time, I have never shopped there before. But you really have to have lots of time to root through all the items. I got 3 lovely linen designer tops for £5 - a bargain! But you really need to have a lot of time for this type of shop as nothing is co-ordinated and all just hanging on rails. Its worth paying a visit though when on a tight budget. It's too much hard work really I won't be going back for a while.

Maz

tori

Post by tori » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:46 pm
ooh yes maz,tk maxx is fab! up until a couple of months ago id never been in either,but im glad i did.although it can be a bit like a jumble sale at times its definitely worth having a rummage.and their housey stuff is great too.they've got really posh scented candles n loads of other stuff that are an absolute bargain!!will be doin alot of my xmas prezzy shoppin in there[:D]x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:06 pm
Hmmm, my money saving didn't work very well!

4 x Sainsbury's soya milk - horrible, 2 went down the sink and I'm back on Alpro!
1 x Tresemme shampoo and conditioner - made my hair so greasy it needed washing every day and brought Dave out in spots!
1 x Sainsburys tomato ketchup - they've changed the recipe (new improved apparently) and I don't like the taste.

I've decided that money saving only works if you actually like the cheaper brand!

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 pm
hehehe, I have tried Tresemme shampoo and conditioner and its rubbish, its supposed to be professional quality but its just a rip-off[:D]
30 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “money saving tips”