Should I request a payment break.

7 posts Page 1 of 1

jayne5364

Post by jayne5364 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:59 pm
Just a little background to start with. We are 3 years through our IVA. Struggled a bit but getting there. Our original end date was Feb 2011 but now another 8 months has been added on making it Oct 2011. The reason for this, we had a car on HP when we atarted the IVA and the payments were due to finish 15 months before the IVA, meaning at the end of the HP term, the money we had been paying on HP would now be paid on the IVA if that makes sense. (obviously because we would then have £150 extra money). In july last year my car needed such extensive repair, about £1800, we decided to send the car back. We owed the finance company £700 for removal ect but they have been kind enough to let us pay that back a £5 per week. We replaced the car with one on motabilty through my Mum. Since I'm her main and only carer and am "on duty" 24/7 it works well. IVA take into account that I pay for this but as I said, it's increased our term by 8 months so no problem.
Things with my Mother have now become serious, she is classed as terminaly ill. She is now at the stage that she is in need of oxygen. She doesn't want to go into residential care and I don't want that for her. She will need someone with her 24 hours a day. I am more than happy to go live with her and take care of her but finances are the problem. My husband is weekly paid so we tend to pay for most things from that. Rent, gas, electric, food, petrol, pretty much everything in fact. I am paid monthly and my wage covers IVA, car payment and council tax. The council tax I'm sure we could find a little extra every week to pay that. I'm also sure that Mum would forgo the car money since I would actualy be living with her and looking after her. If we could take a break from the IVA and add the time on at the end then that would be descision made. I'll move in with her to care for her.
Just had a major falling out with hubby cos I said we should ring IVA and find out where we stand. He says they will think we planned it and then when it happens they'll think we "cooked it up". I need an answer soon and asked him to phone them, I'm too upset to ring them. I'm going to Mums in the morning to discuss her care and we needed to make some choices soon. I know my employer would allow me to take the time off, even if it were 6 months and I would still have a job to go back to.
Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing or any of the experts have any ideas.
Thanks in anticipation, Jayne.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm
Hi Jayne,

Can I say first of all how sorry I am to hear about your mother, and what a lovely caring daughter you are.

I would speak to your IP as soon as possible to update them with the situation. They won't think you have cooked anything up, and I am sure they will be very sympathetic and do everything they can to help you out.

If it means an extended payment break, then I am sure the creditors will be agreeable to this. Your mother and her care at the latter end of her life is the most important thing.

Phone up the IP and I doubt you will have any problems.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 am
I have an elderly Mum who lives with me and my husband, and I am also an insolvency practitioner.

Can I say that your absolute priority must be your Mum's care at this moment in time, and you should not fear that your IP will atr any stage think you have cooked up a plan. We are professionals who trust the information provided by our clients, and I am sure that he/she will want to help you as much as they can.

Do make sure you explore whether you are entitled to any more allowances for caring for your Mum on a full-time basis, and may I wish you the very best of luck for what is not going to be an easy task, but is one I am sure you would not want to entrust to a stranger.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

billy1010

Post by billy1010 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:01 pm
Hi

You will be entitled to apply for Disability Living Allowance under special rules for your mom.

You can also claim carers allowance providing you are not earning more than £95 take home pay per week.

Hope all goes well

Kind regards Jayne
7 down 53 to go
The pedal uphill may be hard but remember once you reach the top you can take your feet off and freewheel all the way down!!!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:14 pm
I can only agree with the other posters. Make an appointment with a local welfare rights officer to make sure you and your mother are getting your full entitlements. Speak to your IP who I am sure will be sympathetic and I would be confident that creditors would have no issue with a payment break given the circumstances.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

jayne5364

Post by jayne5364 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:34 pm
My mother is already in receipt of full DLA as she has been disabled for a number of years. I used to get the carers allowance when I worked less hours, now I earn too much. We have been throwing around a few ideas today, one being to apply to the council for a bigger house with downstairs facilities for her. I don't hold out much hope and I think the original plan of me taking a break from IVA payments and work will come in to force long before we can ever get rehoused. Thanks for the replies though, at least I feel a bit happier if I have to make the call. It will be my last option but not so scared of doing it now.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm
Don't forget that we are here for any queries you have and will give you all the assistance you need if we can.

Let us know how things go.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “payment breaks”